quiet down noisy external electric fuel pump - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 06:53 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Mustang Al.
Unless of course if you are purchasing an Edelbrock pos with vent holes to allow the oil out.
Oh-oh!!! Sounds like maybe your 'curative' didn't work, Al

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2012, 10:14 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Singing fuel pump

Since you have a budget lock up, wrap it in foam rubber and 200 mph duct tape.
I always do the pump in tank per EFI requirements.
Jim, School of Hot Rod Hard Knocks, 1957

a few of mine.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'32 3w  LS1.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	62781   Click image for larger version

Name:	37 LT-1.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	62782   Click image for larger version

Name:	283 '32 Roadster.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	62783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wild Rod LT-1.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	62784  

Last edited by jimmothershead; 02-08-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 01:20 PM

Last photo:

my son used a Carter on his project last year and it was crazy loud. He ran quiet mufflers and you could her the buzz of the pump 1/2 way down the alley. The noise drove him nuts. He now has a Holley.I dont ever remember these Cater pumps being so loud.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Don

Last photo:

I had a similar problem when building the coupe. As stated double insulated bushings on the chassis and brackets. I then cut a 1/4 thick silicon blanket to wrap the pump with, using care to make it look nice where the ports and wiring were connected. It wasn't completely quiet but was not noticable after the initial start up.

Don
Old 02-08-2012, 01:27 PM

Last photo:

Carter fuel pumps

Bought my first Carter fuel pump in 1958 when I put 4 twos on my '50 Chevy. Used many after than. 2 years ago I put one on my 30 foot boat with 454.
Same noise since 1958.....but then again we listen to hard rock music, he, he. Rockin' to Led Zeplin right now !!
FI pumps should be in tank where it will be muffled and deliver fuel properly.
Have fun.
Jim
Old 02-08-2012, 03:17 PM

ranrodder

All are good suggestions. I run an inexpensive in-line pump (forgot the brand) bolted to frame rail fueling a Holly not high pressure not recommended for TPI. Rubber insulated to fram with bolts. When the switch is first turned on you hear it pump until it which is a good thing you know it is working, pressures up and it gets quiet. I have tried several different ways and none are completely quiet. Pump works great just a little noisy. hope this will save someone some time and money.
Randy
Old 02-08-2012, 04:17 PM
GearHead-EFI.com

I've run that Carter pump many times for TBI, they also have one with more pressure for TPI/MPFI PN5001.

They come with mounts and a rubber sleeve to help quit them. But mounting to frame rail especially a box rail make them echo from from to rear, body is better.

I first used Harley Davidson oil tank mounts which are rubber middle with bot studs on each side because I had a few leftover and they worked well. MSD offers same type mounts for their MSD 6a? type off road box. These will further isolate noise from echoing on frame or body.

Then get some foam insulating tubing from hardware store to wrap pipes big enough to slice over entire pump with just the rubber isolator mounts exposed to mount. slice a V chunk from each end so it closes and use black duct tape to hold ends shut.

This will get the noise down to barely noticeable, or even non existent with loader mufflers.

If you end up changing to in tank pump there is an excellent write up on newer style pump with bucket on bottom so no baffles are needed in tank and you don't slosh fuel and die around corners at 1/4 tank like if you use a TBI in tank assembly in old carb style tank with no baffles here:
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...l-Pump-Upgrade
Old 02-08-2012, 05:49 PM

Noisy Fuel Pump

Greetings everyone,
The real reason the fuel pump is noisy is because it is cavitating due to the suction line being too small. The pump pulls enough vacuum to cause the fuel to boil just a bit on the suction side, and as soon as that bubble of gasoline "steam" collapses as it crosses to the pressure side, it results in what are essentially shock loads on the pump housing and rotating assembly thus making all that racket. I had exactly the same problem on a fuel injection retrofit on my Mazda RX-7. Changing the suction line to 1/2 inch id completly eliminated the noise. I hope this helps!
CHeers, Chris
Old 02-08-2012, 06:05 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Oh-oh!!! Sounds like maybe your 'curative' didn't work, Al
Hi Dave.
that photo was a "before" shot.
No its working fine with an off the shelf double lip seal pressed into a brass ring. It is still not leaking so its a fix others may be able to use if they have this pump.. No reply from Edelbrock at all despite close-up informative pics.
Cheers . ( in the northern chill)
Al.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:46 PM

Last photo:

Well that may be true

Hi rotorjunky

Yes that is true I have seen this on volvo`s.When the in tank would go bad the main pump would start screming.I found a easy way to check this.Measurer the amp draw.In all cases I have that the amp draw form the main pump would more than dubble.Going form normal 3 or 4 amp`s to almost 10 amp`s.If the amp draw is over speck that could be the problem.But not all pumps will run quitly.Clearenecs in the pump will be the final factor.

2x4`s
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000055.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	827.9 KB
ID:	62803  
Old 02-08-2012, 10:42 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

Rotorjunky,

I have AN 10 (5/8 OD alum) fuel lines from the tank thru the pump all the way to the regulator at the carbs. I'm quite sure there is no cavitation in this system. There is also a rear sump, and well baffled rear exit from the tank. There is no fuel filter in the system either and several checks have shown no junk in the carbs or tank. BTW the fuel tank is vibration isolator mounted too with a ground wire for safety. There are 18k miles on this application.

The fuel pump is isolation rubber mounted with no metal to metal contact including all the fuel line mounts.

Still the noisiest fuel pump in existence even though I have found them quite reliable. Today it was 11 degrees F and you could hear it above all other noise in the car. Definitely worse the colder it gets.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:45 PM

Last photo:

2x4`s will try to help

Hi Bentwings

Do you have a fuel damper or an accumulator in the system.A pressurizer fuel line will carry noise even amplify it.Sorry to say this but a rubber or plastic line will dampen noise.Ware as a steel or aul. line will amplify it.It is sometimes a matter of parities ,do you want pretty-pretty or full function.Do a study of some factory systems and I think you will find a large number of stock systems using plastic.The main reason noise.

2x4`s
Old 02-10-2012, 09:16 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

I'm well aware of rubber and plastic. I have a braided line going from the main line to the regulator. Also tried braided lines into and from the pump. These vane pumps are inherently noisy some more than others..

Plastic lines and fuel tanks are for corrosion as well as cost and being plastic you are right they do not transmit noise very efficiently to the chassis.. Nearly all of today's gas has alcohol blended into it which is corrosive and even more so when it absorbs water. Window washer systems have been plastic for a very long time. Ever seen the green corrosion on the metal tubes that used to be on them?? My fancy sculptured aluminum water/alcohol injector tank is about to be scraped and replaced with a conventional ugly black plastic tank due to corrosion.....I thought I knew all about corrosion as my aluminum fuel tank is spotless. haha
Fuel pumps are in the tanks now both to cool them and to quiet them down.

As for pretty-pretty if I could get a pink and lavender fuel pump with mottled yellow and desert sand colored fuel lines with red and white candy striped wires that was dead quiet, it would be on my car. A good example is my blower which is sand cast and unpolished. It has many times the surface area of the brightly polished ones and as a result it runs much cooler which is one of the reasons I can run 87 gas without any problems.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:53 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Double insulating the pump mounting works well for me, but I do it a little differently. I put a rubber pad betweeen pump and metal. I also drill the mounting holes large enough to put rubber grommets in the holes so the bolts don't touch metal on the edge of the hole. Finally I use nylock nuts so once the bolts are snug I can stop. Tightening the bolts too much cancells out all the work you do to isolate it, so don't overtighten the bolts.
Mine is very noisey outside the car, but inside it's quiet.
That is the best suggestion for mounting one to the frame and getting things quieter.

there are several good suggestions in the thread though as this has always been an issue. My parents had a Mercury that had an electric pump in the late 50's because someone had put the fuel pump pushrod in upside down and worn the fuel pump lobe on the cam down. That little six volt pump was noisy and mom would always wait until it quit rattling before starting the car. 52 or 3 Merc Hardtop.

The one on my 57 Chevy panel with the 327 was the loudest one I had ever heard though. It would run you out of the truck when I first got the truck.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:02 PM

Last photo:

Hi Guy`s

I have 2 fuel systems in my ride.Mechanical and electric they run to a tee.I add the electric only when I need to.

2x4`s

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.