quiet down noisy external electric fuel pump - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2012, 12:32 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

quiet down noisy external electric fuel pump

I installed a '89 Camaro RS+ 305 TBI/700 R4 in a '67 Firebird Convertible. Used the Painless aftermarket wiring loom & factory ECM to manage everything. Had to install an electric fuel pump & have a return-line in the gas tank for the TBI. Use a Carter P5000 pump & works well. Only problem is it's really noisy, especially with a convertible as it runs all the time. Anyone had the same problem & come up with a way to quiet down an external fuel pump that's mounted back by gas tank on frame rail. A submerged pump system is alot more $$ & the stock gas tank would also have to be either modified or replaced with a custom....more $$$.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2012, 02:36 AM

Last photo:

we use rubber isolator bushings to mount air ride compressors to frame rails and quiet them down some.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:44 AM

At my job, we use a bracket that has isolators that mounts the Carter to it and can be bolted to engine. Engine mounting it i found is the quietest way to run that pump. Can't here it w/ a stock exhaust engine running. We had brackets for Ford, GM s/b and b/b applications.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:51 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Summit has a Carter fuel pump isolator .

My experience with Carter pumps is that they were quieter then the similar capacity Holleys - and those are loud enough to wake the neighbors and the main reason I try to stay with mech. pumps if possible.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:47 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

I try to double isolate mine and it usually works pretty well. The one I'm running on my deuce is bolted to the frame with a 1/4" rubber "gasket". Then the pump is mounted to that bracket with six rubber donuts, three on the top and three on the bottom. You can still here it but it's a lot quieter than it would be without all that isolation.

You can see in the pic that I had to make a bracket to move the pump forward a bit. I wanted a little more clearance between the pump body and the ladder bar when the suspension is at full compression and that did the trick. You can see the rubber donuts and the rubber isolator behind the pump.

Centerline

HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Remember, if you didn't put it together with your own hands, its not really yours." - Tim Allen
Old 02-05-2012, 11:51 AM

CraigsCl****ics

Due to the fact this is a TBI system that's pressurized where the pump MUST be put close to the gas tank/supply (up high on the frame rail), location isn't an option. Also, the pump comes with a rubber sleeve & large clamp so vibration isn't an issue. It's the "singing/high whinning" noise that's the issue. With a convertible, rear compartment noise is much more difficult to insolate from as well. I'm thinking I need to "incapsolate" the pump but space is also a problem. Anyone ever "gone there?".
Old 02-05-2012, 01:15 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigsClassics
Due to the fact this is a TBI system that's pressurized where the pump MUST be put close to the gas tank/supply (up high on the frame rail), location isn't an option. Also, the pump comes with a rubber sleeve & large clamp so vibration isn't an issue. It's the "singing/high whinning" noise that's the issue. With a convertible, rear compartment noise is much more difficult to insolate from as well. I'm thinking I need to "incapsolate" the pump but space is also a problem. Anyone ever "gone there?".
Unfortunately, this is why the factories put them in the tank.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:28 PM

Last photo:

Me too

Hi Craig

I had this problem too.While the many anwsers you got are correct.There is still lots of noise.If you build a bracket and bolt on 2 strips of corded rubber ( i. e.) fuel line,cut tire sidewall.Suspend the pump in air with the rubber and use rubber fuel lines on the pump at least 12" long.Most of the noise will be gone.I know you said not much room.But I did this with my vett.To test if this fix will work for you.Unbolt the pump let it hang from its rubber fuel lines.Then power it up.The noise it makes at this time will be its lowest.If there is only a small change in sound level,then it is not worth Your time to build.But I got a good change in sound level in the vett.I hope this works for you.

2x4`s
Old 02-05-2012, 08:36 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Double insulating the pump mounting works well for me, but I do it a little differently. I put a rubber pad betweeen pump and metal. I also drill the mounting holes large enough to put rubber grommets in the holes so the bolts don't touch metal on the edge of the hole. Finally I use nylock nuts so once the bolts are snug I can stop. Tightening the bolts too much cancells out all the work you do to isolate it, so don't overtighten the bolts.
Mine is very noisey outside the car, but inside it's quiet.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:47 AM

CraigsClassics

Thanks for all the imput & perspectives you guys/gals (just incase). Before I do anything else, I'm going to contact Carter to see what they have to say as I can't believe someone hasn't gone to them with this issue. They may just blow me off but worth a try! Will keep you posted!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:31 AM
gearheadslife

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:

I know you might want to keep your g.m. all g.m. BUT the early multi port efi. in ford trucks with dual tanks, used a pump that was mounted on the frame rail.. it is quite.. will keep up with the tpi needs,
Old 02-06-2012, 08:58 AM

Last journal entry: Some More Roll Cage Fabrication
Last photo:

Those fords had 3 fuel pumps. 2 lift pumps in the tank and 1 high pressure pump on the frame rail. The frame mounted pump that you are talking about is not designed to draw/lift fuel from the tank. The pump will be short lived and you will have a host of fuel starvation issues.I've seen many people try this.

Look into the inline frame mounted econoline fuel pump. They are designed to lift fuel from the tank and are very quiet. However, they are not a high flowing pump. Better suited for a stock engine without any power adders.

*Correction: I meant to say use the inline econoline fuel pump and frame mount it. They did not come mounted on the frame. Unlike other in tank pumps the econoline pump can be converted to an inline setup outside of the tank.

Last edited by ethn_bert; 02-06-2012 at 09:04 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ethn_bert For This Useful Post:
fwinter01 (02-02-2013)
Old 02-07-2012, 01:25 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

I did all the isolation tricks with the vane pumps. It is not really worth the effort. I also called both Holley and Carter and they both said it is the nature of the beast. Now my Cummins diesel in my Dodge uses the Carter as a lift pump and it is pretty quiet but consider it is mounted on 1200 pounds of cast iron and with the injector pump rattling, the diesel knocking and the straight exhaust I don't think you could hear the Carter anyway. Even mounted on the frame they are relatively quiet on this app.

The only real cure is to go with the Holley gerotor or the Mallory gerotor pumps these are very quiet and durable. Be sure to use a good free flowing filter before the pump as small particles will lock these up. there are a number of us in the cruize club that have changed to these pumps and have a lot of miles on them.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:35 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Summit has a Carter fuel pump isolator .

My experience with Carter pumps is that they were quieter then the similar capacity Holleys - and those are loud enough to wake the neighbors and the main reason I try to stay with mech. pumps if possible.
Unless of course if you are purchasing an Edelbrock pos with vent holes to allow the oil out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo219.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	754.3 KB
ID:	62771  
Old 02-08-2012, 06:30 AM

Last photo:

Speed control for fuel pump

You can control the speed and therefore the noise of your fuel pump. What you want is called a PWM (pulse width modulation) controller. They can be found on eBay, but they aren't called fuel pump controllers because they can control any DC motor. I use a Painless Wiring unit intended for electric fans. Aeromotive makes one specifically for fuel pumps: http://www.jegs.com/i/Aeromotive/027/16306/10002/-1 I haven't used that unit, but it should do the same job.

Last edited by potvinguy; 02-08-2012 at 06:36 AM.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.