Hot Rod Forum banner

Quiet Fans?

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  hduff 
#1 ·
I need fans to move air in my shop and I have one of these:

and two of these:

plus one of these:

They are noisy.

I know that there have been big technology advances in radiator fans to improve air flow and reduce noise. Has anyone applied that technology to ventilation fans?

Are there any quiet fans for shop ventilation?

See less See more
#2 ·
Fans

The fans in your photos appear to be direct drive (off motor). I have found that belt driven fans are much quieter due to having a different size pulley on the fan and the motor. I'm not sure that vent type fans are available as belt driven. Hope this helps.

#6 ·
Not sure, and you might take a look at a Johnstone Supply (if you have one). They sell components like blades. Might even check with Grainger for just the blades too, as they might sell that part separately. Just need to be sure you get the correct blade size and cfm rating, or you'll risk overloading the motor and tripping the circuit.

This post has been deleted
#8 ·
Yes, as long as the cuts were identical on each blade, it would most likely make it a bit quieter. Part of the quiet comes from round tips, but another is the sloping surface of the blade vs. flat surface slapping the air. So the modified tips will help, but not as quiet as a sloped blade with a rounded tip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.