Hot Rod Forum banner

Quiet Ring & Pinon set for my GM, 8.2

4K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  68NovaSS 
#1 ·
In my earlier post I asked about reducing the whine from the rear end of my 58 Impala and the consensus was learn to live with it or replace it. I'm considering replacing it and I would appreciate some advice on which brand of gear set to go with. This is not a performance vehicle so I dont need or want a performance gear set, especially from Richmond. My main concern is QUIET. I would like it to be as quiet as my Wife's Lexus..........don't even know it's there. Ratio is 3.55 (non posi) and I would use existing axles, spiders, housing and yoke unless there is a reason not to. I have heard Motive is a quiet gear but have never used one. Anyone have any suggestions?

Jim

#2 ·
Not Richmond Gear. I replaced the R&P in my car last year with a Yukon R&P and I am completely satisfied. Read the warnings on the Richmond gear set, they specifically state that it may make a little noise. Richmond Gear is usually recommended for drag or race cars where a quite gear set is not that important. Whatever gear set you buy the most important aspect is setup as far as how quite it's going to be. And don't let price be the deciding factor in your decision.

Vince

#4 ·
I've installed gears from all of the manufacturers and most of them are quiet. Sometimes you get a noisy gear from a company that usually has quiet gears. I've had GM, US Gear, Richmond, Motive and Yukon gears that had a slight noise in them even though the pattern was very good. Most of the gears from these manufacturers are very good, but sometimes a bad one gets through. I've been dealing in Yukon gears for the last few years and I've only had a problem with the 9 iinch Ford 3.70 gear. I haven't used any of their '55-'64 8.2 gears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.