quite high flow exhaust - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 04:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

quite high flow exhaust

I want a exhaust system that is higher flowing then stock but just as quite or quieter. I was thinking of installing a glass pack infront of a flow master and maybe another glass pack behind the muffler. Will this work ? Any ideas?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 05:02 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish11
I want a exhaust system that is higher flowing then stock but just as quite or quieter. I was thinking of installing a glass pack infront of a flow master and maybe another glass pack behind the muffler. Will this work ? Any ideas?
Don't really think you will getting what you want adding the mufflers where you want to. JMO have you thought about adding resonator's ? And some high flow cat's would help also.

Cole
Old 02-23-2012, 05:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
For the most part mufflers are the things that are most restrictive to exhaust flow, just slightly better than catalytic converters. Multiple mufflers add quiet but also add flow restriction. The more the restriction to more fuel you burn to provide pumping power off the crankshaft to force the exhaust out.

Restriction is the whole reason behind dual exhaust systems. The typical muffler has a hard time getting to 300 CFM a few exceed that most don't get there. Pipe diameter on the ends has little to do with the problem.

Which Flowmaster they range from pretty quiet to pretty loud and what is this on?

Not to be a smart a** but if you want quiet I find it exciting to drive my wife's PRIUS, the people that don't look before they step off the curb will never hear what hit them. That thing always reminds me of truth in the saying "Loud Pipes Save Lives".

Bogie
Old 02-23-2012, 05:43 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

magnaflows' bigger mufflers are very quiet
Old 02-23-2012, 06:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
magnaflows' bigger mufflers are very quiet
This is true they have a different sound all together seems like to me. been thing about going to some magnaflow's/flowmasters on my truck. Just haven't decided yet But either way if he wants the high flow mufflers and really want's to quiet it down that's what the high flow resonators and cat's are designed to do. IMHO

Just go to youtube and listen to several different set's of exhaust to help you decide what you want. JMO

Cole
Old 02-23-2012, 06:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie
For the most part mufflers are the things that are most restrictive to exhaust flow, just slightly better than catalytic converters. Multiple mufflers add quiet but also add flow restriction. The more the restriction to more fuel you burn to provide pumping power off the crankshaft to force the exhaust out.

Restriction is the whole reason behind dual exhaust systems. The typical muffler has a hard time getting to 300 CFM a few exceed that most don't get there. Pipe diameter on the ends has little to do with the problem.

Which Flowmaster they range from pretty quiet to pretty loud and what is this on?

Not to be a smart a** but if you want quiet I find it exciting to drive my wife's PRIUS, the people that don't look before they step off the curb will never hear what hit them. That thing always reminds me of truth in the saying "Loud Pipes Save Lives".

Bogie
I have never tried resonators. I will have to look into them.
I say adding a glass packs as I thought the were not restrictive since they are a straight thru design, I guess I was wrong. Being a straight thru design glass pack I figured the fiber glass packing around the outer tube would help cancel some sound and not restrict flow.
I am also looking to do what you do in the wifes prius, you have a prius . No, really I am using my truck for fishing ,camping , and hunting and I dont want to drive thru the woods announcing to all the rabbits I am there. When I want loud I will open the exhaust cutouts.
84 c-10 350/350
Old 02-23-2012, 06:25 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I have never tried resonators. I will have to look into them.
good deal at least check them out (high flow resonators )and check out the high flow cat's also. just remember to tell who ever you go to you want high flow .

Cole

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.