Hot Rod Forum banner

Quqrter panel removal

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Lizer 
#1 ·
Can any one give me some pointers on removing a rear quarter panel on a 78 El Camino.

#4 ·
you can use a normal drill bit but this make life difficult as you'll drill through both panels so it makes plug welds more difficult.

Preferably over that you can get a spot weld cutter bit, which is basically a little quarter inch hole saw. Maybe I don't have a good one, but I hate my spot weld cutter bit, it jumps and skips all over the place before it gets started and is still really easy to cut through both panels.

My preferred method, and I was taught this by more than one body guy, is to take a 3 inch cut off wheel and grind the spot weld away by holding the wheel perpendicular to the spot weld and just going back and forth across it, stopping when you can see you've ground away the top panel and can now see the bottom panel. This leaves the bottom panel completely intact. This is assuming you're tossing the panel you're removing because it grinds away a lot of metal at each spot weld location.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.