"R.I.P. to 14 cars and trucks for 2012" - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2011, 01:48 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

"R.I.P. to 14 cars and trucks for 2012"

Some of you may have already seen this article posted on Yahoo this morning: "R.I.P. to 14 cars and trucks for 2012".

Usually these lists don't surprise me, but I gotta admit that I was caught off-guard by the Ford Ranger going away without any replacement plans for the US market. Considering their negative rep as under-powered, ho hum trucks, I would've expected the Colorado/Canyon twins to disappear first.

The other one is the Honda Element. It seemed like a strong seller when it first came out, definitely popular with the out-doorsy hipster crowd here in Los Angeles. Its the Honda Ridgeline that I hardly ever see anymore, but apparently it is still being sold. I guess the updates to the Element just weren't enough to keep pace with the competition.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 05:15 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Ranger production will end at the end of November.. Ford cut emphasis on the Ranger quite a few years ago. 2006-2010 are largely identical except for 4 wheel ABS and disc brake rears 2010-2011 .. 1983-2011 is a great production run given mini trucks havn't had a solid market in 5 years.. The new global Ranger may make it to the US and Canada but not for 2012
Old 11-03-2011, 03:11 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:

Good point. And with the rest of the manufacturers up-ing the size of their "mini" pickups, the Ranger would appear over-priced.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:28 PM

Last photo:

$16-30k depending on options and engine choice. It's still priced a little high in the sense that, the Tacoma is the only other remaining mini truck, which has also gotten a little bigger, is priced about the same.. I would still consider the current Ranger a good value if that's what you need.. F-150 can be had for about the same price if you require 4x4, and MPG with the new V6 is comparable to the old Ranger 4.0L SOHC..

I'd bet the Element will be back with a new name in a year or 2.. VW did that with the Beetle, and now the Beetle had a major redesign but still resembles what it was.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:06 PM
"But how do it know?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
$16-30k depending on options and engine choice. It's still priced a little high in the sense that, the Tacoma is the only other remaining mini truck, which has also gotten a little bigger, is priced about the same.. I would still consider the current Ranger a good value if that's what you need.. F-150 can be had for about the same price if you require 4x4, and MPG with the new V6 is comparable to the old Ranger 4.0L SOHC..
Yikes, I didn't realize the Rangers were going for that much much. The six-banger F-150 is definitely a better deal if some wants more truck for his or her money. I haven't done a price check, but aren't the Nissan Frontier and the Chevy/GMC twins priced competitively with the Tacoma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
I'd bet the Element will be back with a new name in a year or 2.. VW did that with the Beetle, and now the Beetle had a major redesign but still resembles what it was.
I definitely see your perspective on the Element / Beetle analogy. The thing is young folks (at whom these vehicles are targeted at) these days move on pretty quick. There is a slew of newer models out now, and I don't think the Beetle has the same want-it factor that it did when it was first released in the late 90s'. The Element, on the other hand, can still make a come back considering the cube-shaped vehicles haven't gone out of style... yet.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:23 AM

Last photo:

Nissan is a little more for the Frontier I think.. The Colorado/ Canyon is slated for a redesign/ name change next year I think, but there all in the same ballpark price
Old 11-10-2011, 10:43 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cool article, the Crown Vic and the Elise are the biggest losses imo. I'm glad to see the RX8 go.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:52 PM

Sad to see the big Fords go as well as the big Caddy and Buick.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:38 PM
"But how do it know?"

Yeah, it would be nice to see new big, comfy RWD cruiser-bruisers again from the US automakers. The Chrysler 300 / Charger are gonna be the closest thing to it for now. However, my heart will always belong to the Buick Roadmaster from the mid 90s with the LT1. What a sleeper

Here's an article on the Ranger that Matt was talking about. Its not available in the US, looks like a shrunken up Tundra to me.

"First Drive: Global Market 2012 Ford Ranger"
Old 12-13-2011, 03:03 PM

Last photo:

I for one am glad to see the ranger go.
My dad had one for a couple of years and I hated that truck.
It was a dog. Zero power and it handled bad too.

OP: Interesting article, thanks for sharing.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:18 PM
"But how do it know?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty dixon
I for one am glad to see the ranger go.
My dad had one for a couple of years and I hated that truck.
It was a dog. Zero power and it handled bad too.

OP: Interesting article, thanks for sharing.
My pleasure!

What year did your dad have? I drove one when I was working for Autozone and delivered parts to the local shops, probably like a 2005 model. It did ok, but at times felt like it was gonna fall apart. Sure didn't help that we were a bunch of Chevy lovers who abused the hell out of it.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:19 PM

I won't miss the RX8 but I do miss the RX7.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:20 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

I think Nissan is betting the farm on the all electric Leaf. Even though their entire first year production run is already spoken for, lately I have noticed a ramping up of TV commercials on the Leaf.

Bob
Old 12-13-2011, 03:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1silverhawk
My pleasure!

What year did your dad have? I drove one when I was working for Autozone and delivered parts to the local shops, probably like a 2005 model. It did ok, but at times felt like it was gonna fall apart. Sure didn't help that we were a bunch of Chevy lovers who abused the hell out of it.
I had 3 of them. 4cyl was for sure a bit doggy, but 27 MPG out of a truck was sure nice.. Put a 4.0L behind them and there pretty decent, but then again, it's almost 10 MPG less, but even my '92 with the 2.9L was economical and had good performance, and all had great handling
Old 12-13-2011, 04:30 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

Had a 2010 Ranger ext. cab sport 2x4, got it brand new, good value for 16.3K with a few options. The 4 liter was decent on power, unloaded though the thing was unstable and rode like a wheel barrel with no wheel on it, I hated it as well Terrible traction in winter as well, put 400lbs in it and studded treads and then I could live with it.

Traded it in on my frontier 4 door, completely in a different league, that is one nice "little" truck, no complaints other than Nissan service,,,puke

Tags
automotive news, automotive trends

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.