R-o-o-k-i-e_m-o-v-e - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2006, 05:50 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

somthing like that happened to a couple of seniors in the AM autoshop class I take. dropped a screw in the intake of a '99 VW Jetta, didn't realize it. when the engine was fired, it got in the 1 and 2 cyls, and did a little damage to the rings, but it ran fine after.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2006, 06:05 PM

Last journal entry: Steering box reversal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Just take it apart. Sometimes you gotta pay the price for stupid ****. I did it with a carb stud. Yanked the head, and I was done in an hour.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:20 PM

Last photo:

Keith,

Stop hangin around in my garage, dude.

It's freaking me out.

Old 08-02-2006, 06:24 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!
Last photo:

.. Sometimes I think its a matter of pride. Yes I could take the intake and head off but I have invested so much time into not doing that..... That lil bastard is going to come out! I almost had it that time! If you tear the top end apart the lil tiny wrench beat you. It will be laughing at you while your torquing the head back down and sealing the intake. I'm just saying.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpn69
don't feel bad I dropped a tiny little brass ferrell down the distributor hole when trying to hook up my copper oil pressure line and it went to the great unknown.
Guess what Im leaving it too

Not like you can leave a allen wrench tho

maybe try a small vacuum hose to pull the wrench out

glad to see Im not the only rookie out there.
Anyone got an opinion an where that little ferrell went and what it will do tomorrow when I fire the engine for the 1st time
Old 08-02-2006, 10:07 PM

Last photo:

Maybe some duct tape on the end of a peice of wire? That's the easiest way to get squirter gaskets that fall onto your throttle blade and will probably work with a small allen wrench too.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:30 PM
Everything is HAMMER!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdbeard
.. Sometimes I think its a matter of pride. Yes I could take the intake and head off but I have invested so much time into not doing that..... That lil bastard is going to come out! I almost had it that time! If you tear the top end apart the lil tiny wrench beat you. It will be laughing at you while your torquing the head back down and sealing the intake. I'm just saying.

I don't think i've ever laughed so hard. I know the feeling all too well!!
Old 08-02-2006, 10:47 PM

Last photo:

Might try one of those little rare-earth magnets stuck on the end of a piece of 1/4" steel rod. They're way stronger than you'd think for their size. I have a 1/4" diameter disc magnet (from Radio Shack) stuck on my driveshaft for the cruise control, and it hasn't flown off yet.

And just so you don't feel alone: Embarassing screw ups
Old 08-02-2006, 11:15 PM

Last photo:

you know its in there, no other way what you got to do is git it out, Wormy.. P.S. i have done stuff that would make you cry.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:58 PM
72 Nova, 65 Rambler, 37 Chevy

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryblack
NAH don't do that. Once you get the allen wrench out, super glue it to your forehead so it looks like an "L". LOL
LMAO thats a good one

Well Im 16 and while building up my 350 I dropped my distributer hold down bolt down in the hole...some how it managed to like permanently fuse itself against the block casting and the oil pump shaft, took some time to get it out...I ended up using two small files and probing down in their...prying it loose and pinching it like chop sticks

Just letting ya know we all make mistakes and your not alone as many have already said, hope you get it out, looks like you have some great ideas for getting it or just pull it apart lol idk.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:59 PM

I really like the idea of glueing the allen wrench to my head instead of painting the L -thats hillarious!!!

On the other hand, I spend about an hour last night trying to get the allen wrench out through the plug whole -no such luck.

I went ahead and drained the coolant, removed the intake and took off the head -though it really didn't take too long -i SWEAR i could hear that allen wrench laughing at me (of maybe it was just the beer). AND YES -i found that little bastard of an allen wrench sitting on top of the piston (like nothing even happend).

Now the real problem -I've never adjusted valves before and i'm not sure what the torque specifications are for the head. Also, now that i have one head removed and need to replace the head gasket -I might as well do the other side -I'll hate the fact that one side is done and not the other!!!

Last edited by demitristewart; 08-03-2006 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Certified Lead Foot

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpn69

Anyone got an opinion an where that little ferrell went and what it will do tomorrow when I fire the engine for the 1st time
If you just go and run the engine, hope the screen on your oil pickup is small enough to capture it. If not your oil pump gears will grind it small enough pass on so maybe the parts will lodge in the oil filter. Too bad there will be smaller particles can find their way to your bearings.

Try and tilt you car so the drain plug is at the lowest point, then drain the oil. If you are lucky it will roll out or at least get close to the hole to allow you to see it and remove it. Or you could drop the pan and get the little devil.

I had a rocker break once, the ball on the push rod broke off and ended up in the pan. There had been many miles on the engine so I drained the oil and dropped the pan in the car. It just hung there while I put about a cup of gas in the pan and shook it. I did this a couple of times to just clean the pan. The ball rolled to the drain and I was able to extract it. I used a magnet to insure all the small particles were removed. Then I put the pan back up with a new filter and oil. Ran the engine for about 5 minutes and drained the oil and filter. Put new oil and filter.

What is your time and a few quarts of oil worth compared to a possible total rebuild?
Old 08-03-2006, 02:01 PM

This reminds me of the old rag in the lfter valley. I have heard this story many times and as a joke I said to a couple of my friends who were just finished buttoning up an engine. They both looked at me and with the most bewildered look on their faces and then one of them asks, "Did you take out the rag out?". Then they were looking everywhere frantically and you can probably figure out the rest. Just shows its not always "Miller Time".
Old 08-03-2006, 02:08 PM

Glad you got it out,thats whats important.Everyone here Im sure has done something similar.Okay so maybe the allen should go an a plaque on the wall,you will have a good story to enjoy a beer over when asked about it.Johnny
Old 08-03-2006, 02:12 PM

Last photo:

Did the same thing on a small block, left the rag in the lifter valley luckily got it pulled out with mechanical fingers,thru the dist. hole.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.