R-o-o-k-i-e_m-o-v-e - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2006, 10:40 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

R-o-o-k-i-e_m-o-v-e

So I finish getting my motor together (chevy 350 small block), slap it in my car (71 camaro).

I was in the process of setting the motor at TDC and instead of sticking a screw driver down the first cyl spark plug hole (feel it out) to find TDC I felt it out with an allen wrench -and then dropped the allen wrench down the 1st cyl...

So isn't that exciting! I went out and bought a magnet and spent around 3 hours trying to get the allen wrench out. No such luck...

At any rate, YES -i'm a dumbazz....

Any ideas on how i can get this allen wrench out of my first cyl with out taking the intake and head off?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2006, 10:51 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Can you get the magnet to pick it up or not? If it went in the hole it has to come out the hole.

Steve
Old 08-02-2006, 10:54 AM

Bummer Dude,I would first try to get the piston up as high as possible using a socket on the harmonic,this will at least give you the smallest window to work in.Then I would use the magnet some more and try to recieve the allen wrench.Also make sure the magnet is attatched securely to the handle,you dont need anymore problems.last resort pull the head,good luck Johnny
Old 08-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Tow Chainer

Last wiki edit: Rebuilding an early Hemi engine
Last journal entry: cruise pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Ever see one of those reach tools.

Looks like a big bicycle cable with a button on end. Push the button little wires come out, let off button they grab. Might work better than magnet as it won't stick to head etc.

something like this but with smaller head

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94162

or this

http://www.toolfetch.com/Category/Ha.../KD%202391.htm
Old 08-02-2006, 10:58 AM

Last photo:

I have put a glob of grease on the point of a screw driver to get stuff out of intakes(the stickier the better).
Old 08-02-2006, 12:01 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I've tried the claw tool as well. I'm going to try and tackle it again in a couple days. Once i've cleared my mind...
Old 08-02-2006, 12:46 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightning
I have put a glob of grease on the point of a screw driver to get stuff out of intakes(the stickier the better).
Or super glue on the end of a piece of solid wire if you can see what your doing. Sometimes its just easier to tear the engine apart! Good luck!
Old 08-02-2006, 12:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

tool

I would take all the spark plugs out... Then turn the engine very slow by hand ( do not use the starter) until you get the piston close to TDC. Then you should be able to get it out with a magnet.

Keith
Old 08-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Again, can you pick it up with the magnet? If you can, I would get the piston all the way down so you have room to move the allen wrench around in the cylinder. keep trying until you get it out.

Steve
Old 08-02-2006, 01:12 PM

Last photo:

don't feel bad I dropped a tiny little brass ferrell down the distributor hole when trying to hook up my copper oil pressure line and it went to the great unknown.
Guess what Im leaving it too

Not like you can leave a allen wrench tho

maybe try a small vacuum hose to pull the wrench out

glad to see Im not the only rookie out there.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:21 PM

Everytime I think of how I dropped that allen wrench down the cyl my gut tightens up... Think i'll paint a big L on my forehead for LOOSER!

I'll let you guys know how/when I get it out. Maybe I can post a picture.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

mistake

Don't beat yourself up... we all have done stupid things, thats how you learn....

If you ever walk into my shop you will notice that every engine is covered in some way,,,,,I learned the hard way many years ago that no matter where the engine is sitting you will drop something into it.....

Read this it has nothing to do with your problem but it will cheer you up..

DRILL PRESS; a tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your drink across the room splattering it against that freshly painted car part

WIRE WHEEL; cleans paint and rust off of bolts and then throws them some place under the workbench at the speed of light, Also removes, finger prints, band-aids, and deposits small sharp wires in your shirt.

HAND DRILL; Normally used for spinning pop rivets in their holes until you die of old age.

PLIERS; used to round bolt heads off. Also useful for giving your palm blood blisters.

HACKSAW: Part of a entire group of tools built on the chaos theory. It transforms human energy into a crooked,unpredictable motion. The more you attempt to influence its course the more dismal the cut becomes.

VISE GRIPS; used to round off bolts heads. Can be used to hold objects while welding, transferring the intense heat to your palm.

OXY/ACETYLENE TORCH; Used for cutting metal that is always 1/8" thicker then the tip you have. Very good tool for lighting everything in your shop on fire. Well known for the magic characteristics of the oxygen bottle always being empty no matter how much you re-fill it.

METRIC SOCKETS; used for beating onto the heads of the bolts you rounded off with the pliers and vise grips

FLOOR JACK: A 4 foot long metal pipe on wheels that is used for removing the skin from you shins. Also can be can be used for raising your car 1 inch lower then the height of the transmission your removing.

HOSE CUTTER: A tool used to cut fuel and vacuum line 1" shorter then needed. Used in conjunction with the tape measure to confirm that the line is 1" to short.

HAMMER; Originally used as a weapon of war, now known for the ability of its handle to stop the tool box drawer from opening. Also useful for making blood squirt form under you fingernail.

ENGINE HOIST; A basic lever on wheels known for its ability to travel in the direct opposite direction of where you are pushing it. Employs divining rod characteristics to find the edge of the floor where the stone driveway starts.

QUARTZ LIGHT; Very useful tool for keeping you feet warm in the winter. Known for its ability to melt anything that comes in contact with it in less then a second, including your forehead. Will always shine the light into your eyes, but will keep the working area dark.

IMPACT WRENCH; Uses compressed air to twist off any bolt that you need to keep, and change the temperature of a junk nut from 68 degrees to 500 degrees in 1/2" distance of thread, burning your fingers as you attempt to throw it in the trash.

PRY BAR; Comes in many different shapes, sizes and lengths. Most are straight blade but occasionally they come in Phillips also.

OIL DRAIN PAN; A container used to collect oil drainings. No matter what size you buy it will always be 1" shorter then the distance between the drain plug and the oil filter.

Keith
Old 08-02-2006, 04:17 PM
here to learn

Last journal entry: finishing up the skirts
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-star
Don't beat yourself up... we all have done stupid things, thats how you learn....

If you ever walk into my shop you will notice that every engine is covered in some way,,,,,I learned the hard way many years ago that no matter where the engine is sitting you will drop something into it.....

Read this it has nothing to do with your problem but it will cheer you up..

DRILL PRESS; a tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your drink across the room splattering it against that freshly painted car part

WIRE WHEEL; cleans paint and rust off of bolts and then throws them some place under the workbench at the speed of light, Also removes, finger prints, band-aids, and deposits small sharp wires in your shirt.

HAND DRILL; Normally used for spinning pop rivets in their holes until you die of old age.

PLIERS; used to round bolt heads off. Also useful for giving your palm blood blisters.

HACKSAW: Part of a entire group of tools built on the chaos theory. It transforms human energy into a crooked,unpredictable motion. The more you attempt to influence its course the more dismal the cut becomes.

VISE GRIPS; used to round off bolts heads. Can be used to hold objects while welding, transferring the intense heat to your palm.

OXY/ACETYLENE TORCH; Used for cutting metal that is always 1/8" thicker then the tip you have. Very good tool for lighting everything in your shop on fire. Well known for the magic characteristics of the oxygen bottle always being empty no matter how much you re-fill it.

METRIC SOCKETS; used for beating onto the heads of the bolts you rounded off with the pliers and vise grips

FLOOR JACK: A 4 foot long metal pipe on wheels that is used for removing the skin from you shins. Also can be can be used for raising your car 1 inch lower then the height of the transmission your removing.

HOSE CUTTER: A tool used to cut fuel and vacuum line 1" shorter then needed. Used in conjunction with the tape measure to confirm that the line is 1" to short.

HAMMER; Originally used as a weapon of war, now known for the ability of its handle to stop the tool box drawer from opening. Also useful for making blood squirt form under you fingernail.

ENGINE HOIST; A basic lever on wheels known for its ability to travel in the direct opposite direction of where you are pushing it. Employs divining rod characteristics to find the edge of the floor where the stone driveway starts.

QUARTZ LIGHT; Very useful tool for keeping you feet warm in the winter. Known for its ability to melt anything that comes in contact with it in less then a second, including your forehead. Will always shine the light into your eyes, but will keep the working area dark.

IMPACT WRENCH; Uses compressed air to twist off any bolt that you need to keep, and change the temperature of a junk nut from 68 degrees to 500 degrees in 1/2" distance of thread, burning your fingers as you attempt to throw it in the trash.

PRY BAR; Comes in many different shapes, sizes and lengths. Most are straight blade but occasionally they come in Phillips also.

OIL DRAIN PAN; A container used to collect oil drainings. No matter what size you buy it will always be 1" shorter then the distance between the drain plug and the oil filter.

Keith
thanx, you made my day. as far as the Allen wrench problem, it seems like your driving your self crazy over this. if you take the intake and the head out it wont take you long and you can take out the Allen with no problem.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:16 PM

Last photo:

I agree with 53ledsled if you spent 2 hours fighting it you already spent more time than it would take to pull the intake and head.Save yourself the aggravation and buy a couple of gaskets and you don't have to worry about scratches on the cylinder wall.Sorry about your misfortune but we have all been there and I think me more than most
Old 08-02-2006, 05:42 PM
Certified Lead Foot

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by demitristewart

Think i'll paint a big L on my forehead for LOOSER!
NAH don't do that. Once you get the allen wrench out, super glue it to your forehead so it looks like an "L". LOL

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.