Hot Rod Forum banner

r&r ft. coils 93 mustang

788 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  dlc427 
#1 ·
My boy has a 93 mustang gt and broke a front coil spring. I got the broken one out , but installing the new one has become somewhat of a challenge. No room for an outer comp. The inner comp. i got, by the time you compress the spring, the threads are sticking out of the top and that wont work. My brother in law works at ford and claims there`s a special tool for these, of course they dont have the tool, and my brother in law is somewhat of a tool himself. I`m sure i`m overlooking something here, maybe i need a bigger hammer. Any you 5.0 boys out there? Thanks

#2 ·
There is a Special Service Tool (FORD-OTC) for this application but I don't know where you could rent one.

Front Coil Spring Compressor

This compressor fits most late-model rear wheel drive
domestic vehicles in which the coil springs are between
the upper and lower control arms. The tool features four
case-hardened, self-aligning plates to ensure correct load
distribution under tension. Includes two 3-3/8" ID plates and
two 4" ID plates. Will not work on Mercedes-Benz vehicles.

No. 7045B – Front coil spring compressor. Wt., 13 lbs.

-OTC TOOLS-

FORD TOOL NO. 204-D001

#6 ·
coil springs

My brother in law works at a ford dealer, he called the next closest dealer and neither one has the proper tool.They claim they compress the springs in a press and use home made hooks to do the job. Both say car has to be there. It does seem odd a dealer wouldnt have the correct tool. I think 93 is the last year for that setup. I`ll call auto zone, nuthin to lose. And i thought this would be a breeze. Hey, thats why engineers make the big bucks. Thanks for the imput

#9 ·
T-bucket23 said:
Be careful with those springs, you can get hrt real bad, they are nothing to play with
AMEN on that!

Have you tried the three piece external compressor style? Compress the spring, set in in the mount(s), safety chain it and try to raise the lower control arm with an hydraulic jack?

I have the compressor here. Got a bargain on it from FORD SPECIAL TOOLS a few years ago. Cheaper than jobber OTC... :thumbup:

#10 ·
coil springs

I have located the proper tool at a ford dealer. $250 deposit, full refund upon returning tool as i got it. Said i could use this weekend. Yes coil springs are dangerous, even with correct tools, throw in a guy that hasn't done it in 20yrs...shakey! I`ll get her done. Years ago i had a 66 mustang fb and i watched a buddy install those xtra long moroso drag springs on it, now that was scary. I was at the local ford dealer today and they do use a strut compressor, and those double hook things are homemade, whatever works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.