Race Transmission Slipping - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2005, 11:20 AM
brains

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Race Transmission Slipping

C-4 TRANSMISSION
500hp windsor

Ok guys need some help on a race transmission, let me give you the story so you know whats going on. I bought a C-4 race transmission off ebay, full roller bearings, manual valve body, aftermarket drums, planetary gears, the full works. What they didnt tell me was the filter went out and sucked trash throught the trans. So I rebuilt it top to bottom. All new bearings and bushing, I replaced any and all parts that were bad. Every part was inspected and cleaned perfectly 2 times. All the parts are in good condition without wear now. I took my time, so I'm sure its 100% clean. The valve body only has two moving parts, 1 is a valve not sure for what, the other is the shifter shaft. Both of these were stuck. I free'd them loose but they were both scared up. Not badly but they didnt slide easy. I put them in my lathe and lightly smoothed them up using 2000 grit sandpaper. I also lighty honed the valve body holes with 2000 grit, after that the parts worked smoothly but did seem slightly looser then they shuld be, not much maybe about .001-.0015 more. Yes I reused the torque converter, but before someone says it filled the trans back up with trash, I followed the fluid pattern and it go's directly from the torque converter to the cooler lines. On the cooler lines I put in a big filter to catch any particals. The transmission works great until It warms up. Once warm, it works but under heavy power at least pushing 400+ horsepower it slips going into 3rd. Whats strange is I can slowly rev up in 2nd gear up to 5000rpms and it shifts hard into 3rd. Its only under power not rpm related. Would the shifter shaft being just .001 more loose cause a pressure loss? Any idea's what this could be, if all the parts are in good condition?

Ben

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2005, 09:10 PM

Last photo:

Kevlar bands?

Contrary to popular opinion, they are so hard
they can slip some under hi torque application.
Not that they might slip that much, though

Also, can you / have you put a gauge on and
measured your various pressures?
Old 03-02-2005, 06:50 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

the band does nothing for high gear(3rd)......

I would revisit your clutch clearances in the direct drum, check main line ressure to see if the PR valve may be stuck from the trash in the system.

If the tranny has slipped you need to check the friction and steel plates for burning
Old 03-02-2005, 09:32 AM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

I have had similar problems with 350

I blew 2 TH350 trannys. Both had same sympoms you are having. The first one I wrecked the Sprag race. The second I actually cracked the Sprag race.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

slipping

The c4 transmissions up to 77 used a lathe cut seal on the foward drum piston after 78 they used a lip seal. Is it possiable that you have the drum for the lip seal and you installed the lathe cut seal on it????

I have never done the research to see if the drums are even a different size, but it was just a thought for you......

what ever casued it to slip will need fixed and i would bet money that you will need to replace the clutch packs in the offending place also.....

How did everything air check when you assembled it???? Also did you record the clutch stack clearances????

Keith
K-star automotive
Performance engines
Old 03-02-2005, 03:54 PM
brains

Last photo:

Well, like a dummy I didnt check the clearances on the clutches other then by look and feel. But everything was new, clutches/steels/sprage...It went together beautifully. I was real carefull on putting it together checking the old seals and making sure the new ones fit. But like you said maybe I have the wrong rubber on a seal, some were pretty close and having after market race drums maybe they are different.
Can I use any type of gauge to check the tranny? Any ideas on what my pressure should be at.

Would running Dextron/Mercron fuild instead of type F make a difference?
Old 03-05-2005, 05:05 PM
brains

Last photo:

Just wanted to post that I fixed my transmission, I hooked up a pressure gauge to the main line and noticed that N-R-1-2-P all had 250psi at 3000 rpms but as soon as I got into 3rd it dropped to 120psi. I took the valve body apart and the regulator was stuck closed and the shifter had a big scrape along its side that looked to be around where 3rd came in at. I replaced that part of the valve body and now, all gears have a solid 225psi. It shifts awsome now. All gears hit hard.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

fix

Thanks for the info.... What do you think fixed it???The regulator or the new shaft??? Do you have any idea how it got that scrape in it???

Keith
Old 03-05-2005, 08:01 PM
brains

Last photo:

The pressure regulator was stuck closed so that means It was running 250+psi which would help it shift better if anything but according to ATO who makes my manual valve body the psi should be 175-225. Im not sure what letting it run at over 250+ would do, maybe heat problems, im not sure, so that wasnt the problem.
I think the problem was that the shifter shaft was damaged, pressure was leaking by it. It's really all it could be, because now the pressure is the same in all gears. The scratch in the shifter valve really didnt seem that bad, I never would of guessed that they were that sensitive.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.