racecar paint (S/S), where to buy? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2005, 09:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

racecar paint (S/S), where to buy?

I'm painting up my racecar, which means that i don't want to spend too much but i want something that holds up well and looks decent (not show quality). i was thinking i would use a light grey single stage acrylic urethane and since i'm new to this, i don't have a brand that i'm attached to. i've heard that ppg clv would be a good option, but i'm open to suggestions.
basically i'm looking for places to buy paint online. i'm new to the area that i live and don't know which paints supply shops are good and which aren't (i've been to a few and have gotten a lot of info that conflicts with info that i've read on here, for example i was told that acrylic enamels were just as good as a bc/cc because a clearcoat is so thin anyway ). so i'd appreciate info on good websites.

thanks,
Paul

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2005, 10:38 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
If they don't give good advice, that doesn't mean you couldn't go in there with info from here and buy a product. PPG OMNI, DuPont NASON and other "Value lines" are the way to go.

Some NAPA auto parts store sell a paint line called "MSU" which is about $100.00 a sprayable gallon, a super deal for an acrylic urethane.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:47 AM

thanks for the info martin. you're right, even if they don't know what they're talking about, the paint should still work. but i guess my reasoning was that the main reason i buy at a local store instead of buying online, which is almost always cheaper, is for the advice that i expect to recieve at a local place when i buy from them.
perhaps if i could get info from you guys on a good budget acrylic urethane (like the MSU, which i'm going to check on tomorrow), then i could buy local and not worry about the advice.
i'm planning spraying an epoxy primer over primarily the oem paint job as well as a few spots of body work i've done. does napa carry an epoxy primer as well?

thanks,
Paul
Old 02-06-2005, 08:53 AM

Last photo:

Yes they do, 5120 and 5121 (gray and black). But not all NAPA stores carry paint. They call can get you any staples- clears, primers, hardeners, reducers etc. but not all mix paint. They can usually get you mixed colors by buying it from another NAPA store or the distribution center (DC). NAPA has a great supply network that if the guy wants, he can get you anything you need.

Understand, my suggesting you go to a store who has bad advice or bad service goes against everything I believe in and regularly "preach". I usually say the heck with brand names, PP, DuPont, S-W, what ever,just go to a store where you are serviced well.

But in your case, you are sure to get better service in town than over the web. You may be able to "get something" but when you need a staple bad, when you need to "touch" something NOW, buy local. Besides, if you are not that experianced you may have interpreted what the guy said wrong, or the guy may have explained that particular thing poorly. I don't want to beat the guy up without knowing a little more.

He may have been explaining to you the benifits of SS in YOUR case, a race car. And his comments were only that the SS is more durable because it's color was all the way thru and the bc/cc color is thinner with only a thin layer of clear over it protecting it. THAT is true, and SS is more of a "work horse" product for something like a race car. See what I mean? They may not be that bad after all.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:19 PM

Last photo:

if my local jobber was just a little more expensive than the online companies i would use them but they are just so insane with the prices i had no choice but to turn to the online guys. i just got a price from from the local guys for some polyester primer (glasurit) $375 for a gallon. i just about pissed my pants laughing. the guy at the counter said i guess you dont want it. got that right!!! but i must say after going through a few different online companies for both paint and supplies i have found some that have excelent prices and have the service too. all my clears, sealer and primers i get from southern polyurethanes who has awesome products and customer support and i think alot of us here know how barry is more than willing to help any of us with paint info even if it isn't his own. all the rest of my supplies i get from www.smartshoppersinc.com. these guys are great too and are more than happy to answer any questions you have. they carry kirker acrylic urethane in about 40 different standard colors. i'm not really a fan of kirker stuff, their clear is horrible but i have tried the ultra glo urethane and was pleasntly supprised how nice it was. while i would'nt use it on any of my show quality paint jobs, something like a race car, no problem and it only runs $35 for a 3/4 gallon and another $15 for the hardener. if you have any questions the man to talk to there is tony. he is very helpfull. point to the story here is there are some very good online companies out there, in some cases better and more knowledgeable than your local supplier. only difference is you just have to pick up a phone for service instead of hopping in your car.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:15 PM

Last photo:

I wasn't thinking as Southern polyurethanes as an "on line" company. Barry has helped more JUST on this forum than I have seen any person in any store EVER help, period. So it SPI regularaly ships anywhere off the web site I say go for it. Of course that is all a moot point in this discussion being SPI offers no SS paint at all, but maybe that will change one day.

As for the Glasurit polyester, $375.00 a gallon, you are joking right? I mean polyester is the lowest on the technology chain of 2K products. Evercoat and PCL sell it for about 60 bucks and you are telling me some Glasurit jobber thinks he can get $375?
Old 02-06-2005, 09:30 PM

Last photo:

no bulls&*t. with the catalyst its in the ballaprk or around $375 a gallon. they want the same kind of money for their clears. maybe a little less...most around $300. thats what i have to deal with around here. 300 seems to be the magic number for everything that comes in a gallon can. i guess your right about spi. they really wouldn't be an online company, more like the warehouse they distribute through, but still...alot of good online companies out there that have excelent service and tech help and alot that dont offer crap. its just finding the good ones.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:43 AM

Last photo:

Will SPI sell and ship product to the general public by phoning them?
Let's say I just need a quart of primer. Will they do that?

Roger
Old 03-03-2005, 11:36 AM

SPI may have distributors in your area, but if the do not Barry told me they will sell direct. Chec the SPI website there is a number to find if you have a local distributor.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:59 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

MRCLEANR6: Don't underestimate the "kirker" brand paint, I've had really
good results with it. I bought a gallon of their acrylic enamel, used a
"Lazer Dry" product to make it spray like a basecoat and topcoated
with a urethane on my car 3 yrs ago, never waxed it and it still looks great.
And the car stays outside. I live close to Smart Shoppers and buy most
all my products from them, they don't match factory colors so I use
DuPont for matches but for primers, and stock colors they can't
be beat. I don't like their clear either but Smart Shoppers has one
by AMF that works pretty good.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:44 PM

Last photo:

your right, i dont want to say all their stuff is crap when i haven't tried alot of it but i think out of the 3 or 4 items i did try, all but the ultraglo was pretty bad. never tried thier primers. for about 2 years now i have used nothing but spi except for colors which i have mixed locally.

to order spi goto www.bakerpbe.com. get the # off the website. this is their distribution warehouse and you can order directly from them. their shipping is reasonable too.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:30 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Southern Polyurethanes

I called Baker PBE and they have the primers and the clear coat and just three or four colors at this time..soo i get to edit this post..

in your area please contact Baker PBE @ 1-800-476-3006 8 am to 5 pm EST.

They do ship me direct but then I am way out in the woods..

If all else fails I did in the past paint the circle trackers with plain ole gloss industrial enamel..looked fine from up in the stands..Put an epoxy clear over that an it would be real shiny..and not very spendy..Now I know this is not the show car solution..

Was not said what kind of race car..

OMT

Last edited by OneMoreTime; 03-03-2005 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Opps me bad!
Old 03-05-2005, 04:36 PM

Last photo:

I contacted Baker and I ordered a quart of SPI Epoxy. The guy was super helpful.

Question:

I am using this epoxy for the windshield frame channel. (And 2 small areas on the firewall under the corners of the w/s frame.) Can I brush this on? Or, must it be sprayed?
Old 03-05-2005, 05:05 PM

Last photo:

i have brushed their epoxy on before and it works fine. just dont try and load it on at one time. just one or two light coats will do it.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:29 AM

Last photo:

SPI must sell good products, I haven't heard anything bad. How are the shipping charges being it must be classified as a hazardous material? Bob

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.