Hot Rod Forum banner

rachet shifter for T-400 tranny

693 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  tresi 
#1 ·
I just got a 49 Chevy pickup delivered today. I bought it off of the net and it is better than I anticipated. Anyway I am new to all of this hot rod. It has a 327 with a turbo 400 with a floor shift.
I found out that it does not take much to move the shifter in gear accidental. It does not have what I believe they call a ratchet shifter. I afraid that some one could put it in reverse by bumping it with there leg. What does it take to put a ratchet shifter in this and cost wise. Can a novice like me do it.

#2 ·
You don't don't need a full rachet shifter in order to get the safety you want. You can get one with safety detents for about $80. Greater safety can be had with a shifter with a positive lock can be had for $102. They make a shifter with all the safety features and a taller base intended for pick-ups for $170. A shifter with full safety features will include a postive lock, nuetral start switch and a switch to run the reverse lights. A full rachet shifter will run $150-$300.
They're not very hard to install. You'll need a drill, hand tools, jack and jack stands and sometimes a hole saw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.