racing 1/3 mile circle track , need some knowledge - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2009, 08:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

racing 1/3 mile circle track , need some knowledge

racing 1/3 mile circle track, and am looking for a tranny that could possibly help me out.. has to be a stock production tranny, it will not be shifted in during the race, right now i'm using a saginaw 3 speed with 1st removed,not sure of the exact model i'll have to look...anyhow im wondering what options i have, i'm hoping theres something out there where i can play with the gearing a little as theres a rule stating... Final gear ratio not to exceed 5:83 and no less than 5:40 in high gear...right now the engine is stuck at about 6200..it would be nice to get it up to around 7..as per the rules i cant change my rearend, but the tranny would never be checked?? any input?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2009, 08:12 AM

Last photo:

Are you racing in high gear? What is the rear axle ratio? What is your overall final drive ratio now?

I always thought the quick change transmission was a great idea, but many tracks made them illegal and now, they are not produced. They were cheap and strong and made multiple chunks for a Ford9 unnecessary.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:54 PM

Last photo:

Trans Ratios / M&M
Transmission Information.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:16 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

I don't understand, is that a 5:83 total, or what ring and pinion you can use? All trannys your gonna want are 1:00 in third.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:26 PM
9.82 @ 139mph

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Reduce tire diameter.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:16 PM

the 1st gear is removed, we race in 3rd...i believe its a 1.0? making the 5.83 the final ratio???
Old 01-31-2009, 08:02 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Usually Final Drive terminology means you figure your high gear with your ring and pinion. So your rules stating a "Final Gear" can mean you are stuck with a 5:83 R&P but you may change the tranny ratios to suit. But it also says no less than 5:40. That indicates you have to use a 5:40 to 5:83 R&P and that would mean running a Saginaw three speed in second what put you way over the RPM range(power wise) that you engine rules probably allow. So kinda leaves you little to do reallysince a tranny with a high gear you need likley doesn't exitst or is very expensive custom made deal inside a stock case. That a gray area we won;t go into right now. I would suggest, based on your track wanting to limit rpm by virtue of controlling the R&P, Reduce rotating weight by removing second gear, or if you use it, try just cutting in half, and using a small dia drive shaft, Spool and rear disks brakes. What can you do with your clutch? Stock or can you use a 5.5 button? Reducing the rotating weight will allow you to get to max speed faster and perhaps move in front of another car on exit. It will also let you slow down faster giving you a little more straightaway before you have to roll out of the throttle. All this done properly(driving style changes) will get loosen your entry a little. Probably a good thing for you. Tire are a good way to get a little more RPM to but you also reducing the contact patch.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:56 PM

Last photo:

Work on your corner speed to get it as high as possible, you pick up 5 mph in the corner you will get your revs at the end of the straight.Follow johnson Grass advice in light rotating weight componets as well.Also beleive it or not there is a lot of free horsepower in better brakes. If you can get 2 lengths deeper in before you lift than the other guy you will pick up speed coming out.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsongrass1
Usually Final Drive terminology means you figure your high gear with your ring and pinion. So your rules stating a "Final Gear" can mean you are stuck with a 5:83 R&P but you may change the tranny ratios to suit. But it also says no less than 5:40. That indicates you have to use a 5:40 to 5:83 R&P and that would mean running a Saginaw three speed in second what put you way over the RPM range(power wise) that you engine rules probably allow. So kinda leaves you little to do reallysince a tranny with a high gear you need likley doesn't exitst or is very expensive custom made deal inside a stock case. That a gray area we won;t go into right now. I would suggest, based on your track wanting to limit rpm by virtue of controlling the R&P, Reduce rotating weight by removing second gear, or if you use it, try just cutting in half, and using a small dia drive shaft, Spool and rear disks brakes. What can you do with your clutch? Stock or can you use a 5.5 button? Reducing the rotating weight will allow you to get to max speed faster and perhaps move in front of another car on exit. It will also let you slow down faster giving you a little more straightaway before you have to roll out of the throttle. All this done properly(driving style changes) will get loosen your entry a little. Probably a good thing for you. Tire are a good way to get a little more RPM to but you also reducing the contact patch.
this is what i was wondering if there was a higher 2nd gear available, not as high as 3rd thought someone woulda came out with that by now...should be a demand with all the circle tracks around???? i cant use a racing clutch, and tires are supplied by the track for a price...all the same size
Old 02-01-2009, 09:20 AM

is this asphalt or dirt? tire roll out. it is all a factor.. there are alot of combos to get rpm's up.. is there a rear gear rule?
Old 02-01-2009, 11:59 AM

asphalt...gear ruling is stated in above posts...
Old 02-01-2009, 03:00 PM

i run on a 3/8 mile track and i use a 6.50 rear gear and run trans in high and i turn 7000
Old 02-01-2009, 03:49 PM

Last photo:

Especially on parking lots work on your brakes, as I said if you can go in deeper you will pass people and lap times will decrease the added speed will get the rpms up. Always try to brake hard in a straight line so you don't use up tractive force trying to turn and brake at the same time

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.