Hot Rod Forum banner

Rack and pinion

806 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ENM12642 
#1 ·
I need to replace the rack and pinion assembly (custom installation) but have no idea of the make. I was told it is a typical Pinto / Mustang but the (2) boots are different sizes so doesn't match a Pinto. I am including a .jpg. The installation is pre-1995. The rod ends are 1/2-20 so most likely American. Maybe someone familiar with these rack conversions can identify the assembly. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I got a "definite" from a chassis manufacturer. Says it is a '70-'71 Pinto. Funny since there are no boots listed for the 1.31 diameter on left end (looking at picture). I ordered all boots listed in Autozone, O'Reilly and NAPA catalogs - none were correct. I finally decided to machine an aluminum adapter ring to fit the larger right end (boot still available as FA8012 at Autozone). I slit it in half and added the boot and tie straps. Worked great. Added a littler silicone to the slit to keep the water out - really unnecessary since on drag car. Thanks for the replies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.