Rack & Pinion '55 Chevy Truck - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2012, 08:58 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Rack & Pinion '55 Chevy Truck

Anybody have a Rack & Pinion that works with a 3" drop axle?
Thanks,
Joe

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 09:25 PM
Dennis W. Parks

Check with Unisteer and/or Maval. I believe Maval actually manufactures the rack and pinion steering for the Unisteer. I have not seen one of their catalogs in awhile, so I'm not sure if they have something for your application, but they might. <http://www.unisteer.com/>

writerDennis
Author of automotive how-to books
Old 08-08-2012, 07:14 PM

Last photo:

What are you looking to do. Mount the rack to the axle? I'm collecting parts to do this swap. Rack from a saturn/chevy malibu (late model), Build your own rack mount(watch the clearance on the oil pan), Telescoping steering shaft (1'' to 3/4''), stock 17mm OD rack U joint (stock rack joint will accept a 3/4'' double D steering shaft inside), stock or aftermarket steering column, U joint to fit column to steering shaft. Remove the balls from the steering arms and use tie rod ends. Tie rods can be fabbed very easily from summit and speedway motors and will be different lengths. Dont worry too much about tie rod angle, as there is no bump steer with the rack mounted to the straight axle.
I'm very intrested in what your doing. I just need the time to do mine.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.