Rack & Pinion Install - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2006, 08:28 PM
36 Dream

Last journal entry: The fire...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rack & Pinion Install

I'm installing subject on a TCI frame and have a question for anyone who has installed R&P. I have the bushing flange between the rack and the frame, followed by a washer and nut on the frame. The bolt enters the rack from the front with a washer between the bolt head and the bushing.

Note that the tail of the bushing extends forward past the rack about 3/4 inch before touching the bolt head. I presume the flange between the frame and the rack is to eliminate squeaks and absorb shock. The rubber protruding rubber however causes me to question, just how tight should I torque it down? I've posted pics in my journal. Note that I'm not even sure there is supposed to be a washer in front of the bolt head. Can someone verify this? The bolt I understand to be a grade 5....but I don't know what this means in terms of torque. I've got a feeling I can't over tighten by hand, but I don't want to if there is something called too much.

Mfg, unable or unwilling to provide torque specs.

The nuts by the way have the neoprene inserts.

Advertisement

Last edited by joeford; 11-27-2006 at 09:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2006, 09:31 PM

Last photo:

Use the standard torque for that bolt size, the rubber bushing has the metal sleeve inside, it will tighten down and mushroom the rubber so the rack is isolated by the rubber to absorb shock loads, note that the steel sleeve has teeth, be sure there is not too much paint on the chassis. you want the teeth to bite into the metal. hope this helps...
Old 11-27-2006, 09:47 PM
36 Dream

Last photo:

Rack & Pinion

OK....So, the bolt is supposed to be a grade 5. It's chromed and smooth surface, so the grade is not verifiable....I'll have to trust the supplier on this one....It's 5/8 inch so, that should put the torque at 150-170.

What about washers? Does it get one between the bolt head and the rubber extension that mushrooms? According to the TCI, the flange goes between the frame and the rack, so the mushrooming portion will be on the other side of the rack. I suppose the flange will provide some shock absorbing qualities, but not near as much as if the mushrooming portion was between the rack and the frame. What can you tell me about this point?

Have you seen any manufacturer instructions on the internet by chance?
Old 11-27-2006, 10:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Buy some washers to go on the outside of the rubber bushing. I don't know why TCI can't provide 2 lousy washers. I have installed several of those and never seen a washer .

Also, the nylock nut that they give you to bolt the rack on WILL BACK OUT! use locktite and or drill the bolt and put a cotter pin in it. I do that to all of the ones I do. The stock nuts were deformed thread type, they have alot more resistance to loosening.

I'll look up the torque spec for the bolts. I don't remember them being 170ftlbs. That seems a little high.
My book is at the shop. I'll put them up tomorrow.

later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 11-28-2006, 05:26 PM
36 Dream

Last photo:

Rack & Pinion

Thanks Mike:
I had actually already bought washers, but was a little reluctant to use them....I'm thinking I have a picture of a TCI frame taken in Louisville that shows the bolt head recessed into the bushing so that it sets against the metal bushing insert.....I'm going to post the picture to get your thoughts....I'm just glad I have found someone that knows exactly what I'm referring to...Thanks

I also read that locktite should not be used on plastic, but for sure I'm going to take your advise on the cotter pin....and maybe a little locktite won't hurt....
Old 11-28-2006, 05:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The torque spec, per a chiltons manual, is 100 ftlbs on those 5/8 bolts. I checked a couple of other places I had access to and found nothing else regarding torque.

Check ALL of the bolts and fasteners on that front end several times after you start driving that car

Later, mikey

Old 11-28-2006, 06:04 PM
Sloe Lurner

Last journal entry: front boxing plates
Last photo:

Me To

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one running into problems with TCI Kits. I dont know if I'd use them in the future...I'v had major problems with both front and rear suspensions...
good luck Joeford. Keep us posted on your install
Old 11-28-2006, 07:12 PM

Last photo:

one thing for sure, don't use a large washer on the outisde the rack can pull right off the car!
Old 11-28-2006, 07:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixguns
one thing for sure, don't use a large washer on the outisde the rack can pull right off the car!
That makes no sense to me. Why would a large washer make the rack pull right off the car. Or are you talking about a washer with an inside diameter that would allow the nut to pass through it?

Mikey

Old 11-28-2006, 10:15 PM

Last photo:

sorry about that, ment to say "if you dont" use a large washer the rack can pull off the car.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:21 PM
36 Dream

Last photo:

R&P Install

Thanks Mike or this dummy may have taken six shooter seriously. Of course it would pull through, at least until it hit the frame....I guess that settles that, the washer stays....Thanks guys...

ps...Yes, I'm thinking I'll stop every two blocks and check out the nuts....(ok...seriously maybe the first ten, 50, 100, 500, and 1,000)

My wife says she will follow me to Louisville....

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.