Which rack and pinion kit for a 55-57 chevy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2007, 08:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Which rack and pinion kit for a 55-57 chevy

I'm collecting info for an upcoming job. Part of the job is to install a power rack and pinion kit into a 56 chevy.

There are many companies selling the kits, they seem to be from only a few sources though, and the info on each site is somewhat contradictory.

Maval, Danchuk, CPP, Speedway motors, and Fatman fabrications are but a few of the companies selling these upgrade kits.
( The Danchuk steering kit is shown on page 7 of 19 after all of the catalog section PDF loads .
The picture is not very good, I asked Danchuk to send me a better pic via email, but alas, I have heard nary a word.)

I spoke with The guy from Unisteer,(Maval), and he told me that they supply the kits to Danchuk and CPP. I have been told that using that kit will result in a reduced turning radius, ( this was confirmed by speaking with the guy at Unisteer...he said it was not even noticable.), and depending on which website you look at,and how you interpret the sales pitch, they claim to have little or no bumpsteer with that kit.
So which is it? A little bumpsteer? some bumpsteer?

All of those kits come with new steering arms, If with the installation of the arms you still have some, little or no bumpsteer,( feel the sarcasm?), what other problems will come with them. No statement is made regarding ackerman angles or reduced turning radius on those websites.

Also the bracketry looks kind of cheesy, a friend of mine has one of the Danchuk kits and said it looked like someone in middle school made it. It has U bolts for mounts.. He hasn't driven the car, so there is no telling how it might work.

Speedway motors sells a tri-5 chebby R&P kit that claims nothing other than " here it is, send money."
I'd expect nothing more from Speedway on a setup like this.

It appears to be a knockoff of the Maval kit, without the steering arms.

Fatman's kit has a better looking bracket, and the description of the kit addresses most of the forementioned drawbacks of the Maval setup.
It says that it has NO bumpsteer, a full turning radius and correct geometry.

I'm inclined to go with the Fatman kit, even though Ol' Brent has been know to tell a story or 2 hisself.

My question is, has anyone here actually used one of these kits?

How does it work?

Thanks for reading this,
Mikey

Advertisement

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2007, 06:11 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Rack and pinion 55 - 57

I am currently working on my 56 Nomad and after much research I went with the Jim Meyer Racing conversion. It features a jig built complete IFS front end and includes upper and lower tube A-arms, adjustable coil overs, rack and pinion steering, spindles, 11" disc brakes and calipers and mounting brackets that bolt right onto the original frame to factory holes. The entire kit lowers the front end 2" 's without using drop spindles. This kit also features no bump steer. As soon as I finish painting the frame I will be bolting this kit on and will be able to tell you how it all went together.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Thank you Harald!

That's a nice looking kit http://www.jimmeyerracing.com/ch5.html

The guy who wants me to do this work done will definately get a look at that kit as an option.

I didn't realize that it was a bolt on, complete hub to hub. I thought, (erroneously),the Meyer kit was another MII.

Thanks for the response, otherwise I would have overlooked that setup.

Later, mikey

Last edited by powerrodsmike; 04-29-2007 at 07:56 PM. Reason: add link to meyers kit
Old 05-02-2007, 06:16 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Used Dutchman A arm and rack conversion kit on a '57 and would not use them again. Many OEM's used "U" bolts for mounting. If I do it again I'll use Mavel.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:21 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Thanks for the response, fordSR.
After I showed the Jim Meyer IFS kit to my customer, he wanted that one. He wanted to put tubular upper and lower control arms on his car anyway, that kit seems like it is a whole engineered system.

I spoke with Larry and Mike at Jim Meyer racing and they were helpful and honest. ( I say honest, because when I asked them of they had some of the key components in stock, they said they did not. Most companies that just want your money will tell you that EVERYTHING is in stock..and to send money NOW.)
After working both sides of the counter in this industry for the last 23 years, I can appreciate a little honesty.

Later, mikey

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.