Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rack and Pinion question
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 07:37 PM

Last journal entry: Old guy's low cost Chev coup.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

yes, putting on straight axle. Got the geometry figured, and engine and exhaust manifold clear when I move the steering wheel on the firewall looks like this one might just fit. couldn't do it with pitman arm and linkage. steering box takes too much space and would need all kinds of u-joints, and extension rods and supports to match it to any steering wheel, but squeezing the rack and pinion under the engine and mounting to the axle (and also have to shorted tie rods, no biggee) seems to be ideal solution. Can't go with the mustang front end (simply can' afford it or the shipping). Just need to find out if this set I have needs computer control to operate. If I can't use it, then try something else. Nothing I like better than spending day in local junk yard and pulling my tool bag around on one of those little carts (except this yard, all the carts got at least on bad or broken wheel) and the selection is almost unlimited. Mainly dont want to finish welding up this mounting bracket I made for it and find out it won't work without computer. I suspect that the green and red wires and connector control the direction of flow to the power steering cylinder. Can't find the info anyplace. A mechanic told me it don't make any difference, but I don't think I worded the question right. Do appreciate all the help, and not afraid to scrap it and start over (like that never happens) but thought someone might just happen to hae run into this before and would know. Thank you