Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rack and Pinion question
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 08:03 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Here are some pics as to what I used. http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/members/cal1320-albums-1956+chevy+3100.html

95 Saturn rack with factory steering joint, Borgeson telescoping steering shaft, 3/4''DD x 1'' DD joint,
5/8''LH tie rod ends (for both sides), 5/8'' LH and 1/2''RH tube ends(2 each), 1'' .095 wall DOM tubing, shorten inner tie rods and rethread to RH 1/2-20. LH tie rod ends and RH tie rod threads allow easy setting of toe and centering of steering wheel

Mount rack, install outer tie rod ends, install inner tie rods, align front tires, cut DOM tubing to fit between. Have them welded professionaly if you cannot do it. I cut the original column below the firewall, Lathed a bearing retainer and used a 3/4'' flange bearing. (These retainers and bearings are sold in the aftermarket for a 69? Chevy truck) Milled a DD on the end and attached the u joint to it. Telescoping shaft allows the axle to move without binding. I disassembeled the shaft and removed the tension spring inside to allow easier movement of the shaft. Keep it well greased. Make sure the shaft has enough travel to prevent bottoming out, or over extending. Your shocks are the limiter for extention. NOT the stop bolt in the shaft. There was a slight loss of turning radius, but not really noticeable. The power steering really makes up for it.
You may want to add some caster shims for more positive caster if you like.