Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rack and Pinion question
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 11:52 PM

Last journal entry: Old guy's low cost Chev coup.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

OK, all helpful. Got the lowdown on the wires from the pinion housing from the Cadillac dealer. Computer gets info from sensor in pinion box and determines if you are running straight or turning, and if running straight, if the steering wheel is correct position, or you may be ready for an alignment. Has no affect to the operation of the steering rack, just a little red warning light comes on if computer thinks it can get you to spend some money at the daler getting your caddy aligned. Went ahead and welded up my mounting for the rack started to shorten the tie rods. will finish that tomorrow, maybe. Never woulda thought about telescoping shaft. was thinking tilt shaft for the angles, but the telescoping would also cover the distance to the firewall. Coming right along. I thank you all for the helpful suggestions. Some I can use, some not, but it sure is nice to know that people out there actually know this stuff right off the top. I am usually in trial-and-error mode. If this don't work, try something else. And I normally have plenty of time to rethink it while I'm saving up the money to start over with different plan. You guys that been there save me a lot of time and money, and frustration. So, thank you again.