rack&pinion on a solid front end - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2004, 09:34 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

rack&pinion on a solid front end

I've seen r&p's on solid front axles, my question is I have an axle off a 58 f100 thats wider than most car apps. can you get longer tie rod ends to fit a wider axle? Thanks

Gary

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2004, 11:50 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

tie rods

Speedway stocks the tie rod and drag link tubes in the length you need..

R&P is now available as a bolt for bolt swap with the early Vega steering boxes..Made for cross link setups..
Old 10-30-2004, 04:25 PM

Last photo:

I saw the cross link setup, pertty good idea. What would I need drag links for? The r&p replaces the tie rod doesn't it? So I just need the extended ends? Thanks

Gary
Old 10-30-2004, 09:00 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

baem axles

The R&P does not replace the drag link..we do not do it that way for a lot of reasons..

We install the steering box to the frame..run a drag link across to the opposite spindle and the tie rod ties the 2 spindles together..

putting the R&P on the axle itself creates a lot of unsprung weight for one and it is nearly impossible to accomodate the steering shaft..Might work on a go-kart but not on a full size car..

Sorry..
Old 10-31-2004, 07:29 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Re: baem axles

Quote:
Originally posted by OneMoreTime
The R&P does not replace the drag link..we do not do it that way for a lot of reasons..

We install the steering box to the frame..run a drag link across to the opposite spindle and the tie rod ties the 2 spindles together..

putting the R&P on the axle itself creates a lot of unsprung weight for one and it is nearly impossible to accomodate the steering shaft..Might work on a go-kart but not on a full size car..

Sorry..
Maybe you don't do it that way, but someone does.

Doing a search on "rack And Pinion and Straight axle" shows several posts on this subject. Here is one.http://hotrodders.com/showthread.php...+straight+axle

I have not done it, but according to posts, it has been done.

RULE 1 of Hotrodding

If someone says it can't be done, or it won't work. DO IT
Old 10-31-2004, 08:08 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

The posts

I read the posts and yes it does seem that some have tried attaching the rack to the axle itself..It does not seem that this worked out all that well in practice..some other issues were induced..

Al ot of ideas have been tried and we come back to tried and true for some reason..I think maybe because it works better..

if anyone thinks they have a better moustrap then go for it..Me I am just going to catch the mouse..
Old 10-31-2004, 10:17 AM

Last photo:

O.K. know you have me confised. At my work we have a 32 chevy panel truck that is 4 wheel drive and the rack and pinion is attached directly to the axle and replaces the tie-rod. It seems to work well but the steering attachment is funky, its some sort of cable off a pinto (maybe) so theres alot of play. I was planning on attaching the r&p to the back of my beam axle and thought that as long as your steering shaft was as long as your links it would be fine. Your saying I should make a crossover steering with the r&p? I dont really understand how the setup would use both a steering box and a r&p. The r&p I have weighs only 40lbs or less so I'm not concerned about unsprung weight. I'm not trying to argue a point, I just am trying to understand the way of mounting where it is not attached to the axle. wouldn't the cross steer r&p be the way to go? Any pics? I'll try and get a pic of the one at my work. thanks

Gary
Old 10-31-2004, 11:23 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by gahi
O.K. know you have me confised. At my work we have a 32 chevy panel truck that is 4 wheel drive and the rack and pinion is attached directly to the axle and replaces the tie-rod. It seems to work well but the steering attachment is funky, its some sort of cable off a pinto (maybe) so theres alot of play.
Gary
That funky steering linkage seems to be the major problem with that sort of setup..Having a lot of play in the steering is not a good plan in my mind..

It is either the steering box or the R&P not both..I have been looking at replacing the steering box with a R&P on my rig..and if I do it the R&P will mount to the chassis with a link to the spindle..Cross steer

Not always as simple as it seems..I am not trying argue any point here either..
Old 10-31-2004, 05:04 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Gahi..... Have you checked the other posts on this subject. There are 6 other than this one that showed up with a quick search. They should answer your questions, or atleast give you some different ones to ask.

That was why I posted the link to the one post. We do have a good search engine. If it is used properly, you can save alot of time and get more answers to the questions you have.

"if anyone thinks they have a better moustrap then go for it..Me I am just going to catch the mouse.."

OneMoreTime

If that is your feelings, why are you at a Hotrodding site. The original vehicle design was tried and worked. It should not be changed. I sure am glad that people like the Wright brothers didn't have that mentality.

Last edited by adtkart; 10-31-2004 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:22 PM

Re: tie rods

Quote:
Originally posted by OneMoreTime
Speedway stocks the tie rod and drag link tubes in the length you need..

R&P is now available as a bolt for bolt swap with the early Vega steering boxes..Made for cross link setups..
Have a picture? I've got a 53 F350 that may be able to use that system, if it will fit with my new motor. Where exactly does the rack mount?

As far as the rack mounted on solid axle, I've seen dozens of those setups cobbled together on jeeps and never seen one that looks safe.

Found a picture on the Speedway site. Won't work for a Ford pickup without major modifications. Guess I'll stick with the Toyota conversion

Last edited by oldjeep; 11-02-2004 at 01:22 PM.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.