Hot Rod Forum banner

rack & pinion width/center pull or std.????

5K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  powerrodsmike 
#1 ·
I'm building a custom/1 off cross member and suspension for my 53 Chevy truck. I'm using 2" drop S-10 spindles with custom tubular uppers and lowers. I need a rack that has a center distance of 18". Not the chassis mounts, the inner tie rod mounts. This will keep the tie rods the same length as my lower control arms. The only thing I've been able to find in that range is circle track racks that cost a lot of $$$$$. Whats the measurement for a Mustang rack? I know overall is somewhere around 45", but what's the tie rod mount measurement? I know that's a lot of info but what's your ideas?????? :pain:

#2 · (Edited)
I measured the inner tie rod points on an old Mustang manual rack I have for mockups, they are approx 23 3/4" ball centerline measurement.

With the MII suspension, the rack is mounted higher on the frame than the lower A arm and the upper A arm is further out on the frame than the inner, so the rack's inner tie rod end falls on a line that intersects the lower a arm pivot and the upper a arm pivot.

With your setup, you may find that a center take off rack is the way to go. With a center take off rack, you can make an adapter plate that positions the inner tie rod ends exactly where you need them, eliminating any bumpsteer.

Oldguy 829 wrote a really informative article about using a center take off rack from a Chevy Cavalier and put it in our wiki....Check it out
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Swapping_to_rack_and_pinion_steering

Hope this helps..
Mikey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.