Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - rack on a tube axle
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 07:49 PM

Last journal entry: frankenstude too
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

rack on a tube axle

On my 34 ford coupe frame with a 69 Lincoln 460, a Dodge omni manual rack was fitted and placed so that the ends were a straight shot at the steering arm ends. the slip joint was easily made by welding double D tubing to the shaft exiting the universal on the rack. Then a double D shaft will slip into the tubing and be overlapped by about 5". this tubing and shaft was used from a set up that had the plastic injected into the tubing to creat a collapsable shaft in case of an accident. What i did was removed the plastic so that the tubing would slide. the tubing will be filled with grease then the shaft inserted all the way in then withdrawn about 1/2"(to compensate for any suspension travel and length change. Brackets were made from 3/16 sheet with (under the main mount) a 3/8" pc cut to fit inside the bracket welded solidly to the axle to prevent any side to side flex. Then it was drilled and tapped for 3/8 bolts. Front veiw pic shows a relatively clean look with this setup and the 2" dropped stock crossmember...any additional unsprung weight will be, i beleive negligible...ps new boots and ends are on order
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hr2.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	24162   Click image for larger version

Name:	hr3.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	24163   Click image for larger version

Name:	hr1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	24164  

Last edited by ajbcc2; 09-12-2007 at 07:03 PM.