Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - rack on a tube axle
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 06:35 PM

Last journal entry: frankenstude too
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

rack on a tube axle

well with the double d shaft retracted there would be a gap so a solid material transfer i dont beleive would be a problem. In fact i would think that the grease being a very pliable substance would have a dampning effect. Any up and down travel of the joint would be absorbed by the next universal joint further down the steering shaft. i dont see how movement would transfer up to the wheel as you say..explain? The whole point of the grease was to minimize any wear that may take place between the two mating parts. I suppose for insurance, i could put an inline vibration minimizer coupling.
As the suspension works, the steering shaft wiil lengthen and retract a tiny amount hence the slip joint. There might be a slight bump steer effect as one side of the axle goes up with the spring mount being a pivot point ,the joint will be moving in an arc which would have a slight turning effect on the shaft. I think it would be small.
I understand the added weight thing but i cant see adding the weight of the relatively light rack any difference than say going from a small tire on a mag wheel to a slightly larger one on a steely.even if it (the rack)were more by a few pounds it would still be minimum. The car wont have sportscar handling..they didnt when they were new...the straight axle is an old outdated setup which has its limits...(which is why that mustang frontend is so popular ,it fits and improves handling and ride) as long as it is safe for normal driving i will be happy...
i plan on a panhard or maybe a torsion/sway bar in front and /or back. ...and mounting the rack to the frame would induce ,(i beleive) more bump steer potential due to the pivot/arc geometry differences.

Last edited by ajbcc2; 09-14-2007 at 05:28 PM.