Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - rack on a tube axle
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 05:24 PM

Last journal entry: frankenstude too
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

rack on a tube axle

i am concerned about safety too.. i think that the rack was designed to pull on steering arms and take the vibration from them...with my setup the whole unit will move and there would be less shock at the inner tie rod ends.(because the whole unit moves with the axle and not the center section tied to the frame) True the whole unit will be moving but it will be cushioned somewhat by the tires and the suspension too.. if I thought that I was putting this equipment out of its range of operation then I would can it for sure...I saw at the summer nationals in worcester,ma a few yrs back, a coupe with this same setup and the owner claimed no problems.. as far as ugly..I think it is actually a cleaner look than a vega or mustang box hanging off of the frame..but then to each his own...a panhard may still be needed as the axle will still try to rock sideways on the shackles(side pressure while cornering),though not from the steering pulling or pushing on it...but if a sway bar is mounted then that may hold it some too aside from sway control.
the grease compression(brg removal works because it is confined in an area with no room to trave)l...with the extraction of the shaft the 1/2 inch this would not allow the shock transfer..still i would think that a thin coating might be better than the origional idea of filling and inserting...as retracting a shaft from filled tube wont allow air to enter down the shaft to the bottom...thanks for the thoughts on that

Last edited by ajbcc2; 09-15-2007 at 03:54 PM.