Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Rad Hoses (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/rad-hoses-224808.html)

richlin2 10-08-2012 04:30 PM

Rad Hoses

Got a 350 sbc in a 48 F1. looking for rad hoses with the wires in them. Anybody got #'s of hoses that will work. THANKX

RWENUTS 10-08-2012 05:30 PM

Not hard to make your own coil if you can't find one!

66GMC 10-08-2012 06:08 PM

I believe that the theory of wire coil inserts being nessecary on the lower hose in order to prevent them being sucked flat is a bit of an "urban legend".

A properly functioning cooling system on a modern vehicle should maintain a system pressure of approximately 15 PSI ... more than enough to prevent collapse.

It's also why most replacement (molded) hoses don't have a coiled insert in them.

Radiator Hose Coils

That being said, and as already pointed out, you could always rob the coils from another hose and use them with yours.

PS:
Those "universal fit" flexible hoses incorporate an integral wire in their design in order to prevent them from kinking at the curves.

richlin2 10-09-2012 08:58 AM

got ya

Hey tha, I'll be looking for gates hoses, looks like auto zone has gates hoses.
Thankx

richlin2 10-09-2012 10:46 AM

found hoses

auto zone didn't have gates hoses, got um from jegs....

delawarebill 10-09-2012 03:41 PM

hoses

i just put in a new rad and got what i'll call "corrugated" hose. i just did a measurement and got them a auto zone. they do have the wire in them both.

Richiehd 10-09-2012 06:31 PM

We used to buy some corrugated aluminium hose from the parts store, used for air cleaner hot air pickup off manifold. Bend it to the shape and size you need then go to the parts house and pick a couple off the rack. You will find something close, you can make work.
And yes no urban legend, early style hoses, especially long ones will collapse under load. Most hoses made today dont have that issure.

Studebaker 10-09-2012 08:21 PM

Radiator hose Q:

For special builds where the radiator location or engine mount location is not stock, what I have done is use a peice of coat hanger wire bent to the outside contour of the proposed hose. (from thermostat housing to the radiator inlet) thus making a template. I then take this to a muffler shop and have a peice of pipe that is the correct diameter (same as water inlet and outlet) bent to the outside contour of the wire template. This way I only have to use two small peices of straight hose to make the connection at either end and never have to try finding the right bent hose. It looks a lot better and works great, lasts forever.

richlin2 10-11-2012 11:08 PM

rad hose measure

Thanks guys for you input. I took my tape measure and kind of bent it around where the hose would go to get length. I ordered the hoses from jegs.the green stripe corrugated and they came in today and are installed. Getting closer to starting the 350.