Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Radiant floor question
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 05:12 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have the PEC tubing in the floor of my shop and would not trade it for any thing. Little further south than you, but in the mountains so don't think our winter temps are that far apart. I lived in Utah for 6 years with infloor heat and it was the best heating system I ever had. Two oversized 2 car garages with infloor heat and stayed at 50* all winter long. The primary heat source for the water was solar, with a tiny Paloma natural gas heater as a back up. The solar panels worked every day, regardless of the cloud or snow cover. Saw some temps down to -34F and the inside temp never varied more than 1/2 *. My shop has a 22' apex and it is chilly up there, but comfortable on the shop floor. The thermostat is set for 50* and holds well except if a roll up door is open for more than a few minutes. The thing about radiant heat, all of the vehicles, tool boxes, benches etc absorb the radiant heat and act like a reservoir of heat. They and furniture are a plus, not a negative. I use propane to heat the circilating water and have a 100 gal tank. This winter, I will use less than 350 gallons and the heat has been on since the first of Nov and will probably go off in mid to late March. This year, we will add hot water solar panels to the roof and the propane will become the back up.

As mentioned earlier, if you pour a 5 inch floor, then you will not have to worry about putting your lag bolts in if the PEC is installed 2" above the foam insulation and you don't try to drill your holes more than 2.5". Two inches is plenty for a 4 post lift, using epoxy to anchor them in. If you are going to install a 2 point, you might consider enlarging the foot print and adding more anchors. Do a search on my thread, Designing a New Work Shop and there are a lot of pictures and verbage on how it was constructed.

Trees

Last edited by trees; 02-24-2011 at 05:17 PM.