Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Radiator cooling fan??
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2002, 02:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

[quote]Originally posted by Dave E Shank:
<strong>Awsom: It has always wanted to overheat when not getting moving air flow. I am running a 160 degree thermostat with 40 BELOW cooling additive which seemed to help. I am not sure what CFM the electric add on is. It is mounted about two inches away from front of raditator because of mounting frame. Have you heard of any luck using the shiny shroud that JC Whintey sells. I am wondering the benefit of going all electric and eliminating the flex fan?? Any ideas?? DAVE E SHANK</strong><hr></blockquote>

Overheating is a combination of factors as a general rule, not just 1 thing.

1) always use preformed hoses, not the universal flex hoses. Take a piece of coat hanger, make a pattern and find a hose like the pattern. Always use a bottom hose with the spring in it to reduce risk of the hose closeing up and stopping flow.

2) run as large a mechanical fan as possible with lots of deflection..... Summit sells "stock car fans...15, 16, 17 " and more.

3) a shroud will help.

4) the timing may be too high....or off.

5) always use a distributor with a vaccum advance.

6) the carb may be too lean (the jetting)

7) Sometimes a too low themostat does not let the water stay in the radiator long enough to cool....move up to at least a 180 (I always use 195..with no problems)

8) Better water pump. Flow Kooler plate installed on the water impeller can reduce temps by 30 degrees. Edelbrock has a super good aluminum pump ($150 or so)

All of this still requires a good radiator with cooling ability for a 350.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "