Radiator/cooling issues - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2010, 12:47 AM
45woody

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Radiator/cooling issues

If more flo is better,then what issues could I face if I remove thermostat in my street rod?next,my bbc will temp guage at 160°but will be spewing coolant out overflo(hole located just under rad.cap)and last I have a 4 corner intake,should I move temp sending unit to closest spot near therm.housing?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2010, 01:29 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

This subject comes up a few times a year. There IS a reason for the thermostat and one should be used at ALL times. Flow is good...but too much flow can result in over heating.

The thermostat serves basically 2 purposes, 1. on a cold engine it keeps the coolant in the block so the engine can warm up quicker. When the coolant reaches "somewhere" near the thermostats preset opening of 160, 180, 195 degree's it starts to open and then allows the coolant to flow through the radiator and back into the engine. A warm engine is a happy engine!!

If you remove the thermostat the moment you start the engine the water pump sends cold coolant through the engine causing excessive warm up time. 2. "flo" ....you want the coolant to flow but not too much, thats what else the thermostat does, it restricts flow so the coolant can stay in the radiator long enough to be cooled down as it passes through.

Your problem is probably a bad radiator cap, a lot of guys use just a generic 7 psi. cap. If you have a well built brass/copper or aluminum rad. you should be using a well made 16 psi. cap. The best place for your temp. sender is probably in the cyl. head....if you can install it there w/o a wiring problem. Or as you said install in one of the ports near the therm. housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.