radiator core support bushing 65 el camino - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2008, 02:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

radiator core support bushing 65 el camino

can some one talk me thru this I am swapping radiators and i dont understand
radiator core support bushings i am sure they are necessary maybe mine werent installed correctly so i want to do it right this time.

thanks,

wil

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2008, 11:41 PM

Last photo:

Not exactly sure what you're asking? They go between the frame and the bottom of the Rad. core support.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:23 AM

Core support bushings

On my 65 C10 they are "U" shaped rubber pieces that provide protection between the rather soft brass/aluminum radiator core, and the hard steel frame of the truck.
If these two were mounted face to face the vibration would soon wear a hole in the radiator.
I googled " core support bushings" and got about a dozen hits...looks like you can replace them for about $20.00
If things are tough you could probably fab them out of some other rubber stuff but I would not run without them.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomConspiracy
On my 65 C10 they are "U" shaped rubber pieces that provide protection between the rather soft brass/aluminum radiator core, and the hard steel frame of the truck.
If these two were mounted face to face the vibration would soon wear a hole in the radiator.
I googled " core support bushings" and got about a dozen hits...looks like you can replace them for about $20.00
If things are tough you could probably fab them out of some other rubber stuff but I would not run without them.
thats probably why im replacing my radiator now. they were on there when i pulled the old radiator out but they were badly worn, i was trying to figure out the correct configuration. so the radiator just rests on top of them and is not bolted to them right? ok thank you kindly
Old 12-23-2008, 05:04 PM

Last photo:

You must have an aftermarket or a radiator from another car if this is for a 65 ElCamino. The stock type radiators bolt to the spacer & core support, metal to metal. Does yours have the metal frame on the sides with bolt holes?
Old 12-23-2008, 05:14 PM

Core support bushings

Yes I would do a search if I were you. They showed several different types. It's hard to tell if mine is stock...several folks have owned this truck.
I saw ones that had round rubbers with bolts thru the center. Sounds like they would work just like he mentioned.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:39 PM

Last photo:

Yeh, the 64-67 radiator bolted to the core or cross support. 68-72 had 4 rubber C-shaped pads, 2 on top & 2 on bottom then a metal cover on top that holds the radiator in place.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:12 PM

radiator core support bushing 65 el camino

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSedan64
You must have an aftermarket or a radiator from another car if this is for a 65 ElCamino. The stock type radiators bolt to the spacer & core support, metal to metal. Does yours have the metal frame on the sides with bolt holes?

ya it bolts up on the sides 4 bolts two on each side after i took off the fan shroud and those bolts and the hoses it slid right out there are two what looks like large washers underneath with rubber bushings that hook up through the bumper one of them was chewed up pretty bad is that what i bolt the radiator to?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.