Hot Rod Forum banner

Radiator Expansion Tank - VENT TUBE

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  johnnya 
#1 ·
My radiator expansion tank came in yesterday but the instructions aren't very helpful... or It might just be me :( . Anyhow, i do not understand where or how I'm suppose to route the vent tube.....

Here are the instructions that came with the tank:

And if I'm not mistaken this is how i think the vent tube should be routed... Along the side of the tank somehow, and above the water line. TRUE ?

It fits nicely:

See less See more
#4 ·
Jmark said:
Without knowing exactally how the tank is made, i'd have to assume that the "vent" pipe on the bottom extends inside up close to the top. If it was at the bottom, it would push coolant out all the time.
Yep, that's how it is set up (I have the same puke tank). You don't really need a hose on the vent tube unless you want to route the potential puke away from the area below your tank. The vent tube not only allows air out of the tank as it fills up, but is also the "overflow" if the tank fills to the top.

#5 ·
XNTRCI-T said:
Yep, that's how it is set up (I have the same puke tank). You don't really need a hose on the vent tube unless you want to route the potential puke away from the area below your tank. The vent tube not only allows air out of the tank as it fills up, but is also the "overflow" if the tank fills to the top.

JMARK, yes both tubes are flush inside... That's why I couldn't figure out how the heck to prevent it from spilling out.

XNTRCI-T, so did you just plug the vent tube? How's that worked for you since there is no way for the pressure to escape?

#6 ·
Your vent tube is flush with the BOTTOM of the tank? If that is the case, you have a bad part. The vent tube should come almost to the top of the tank, like the overflow tube in a toilet tank.

On my tank, I just left the vent tube as is. If the tank overflows, the coolant will just dribble straight down to the ground.

#7 ·
XNTRCI-T said:
Your vent tube is flush with the BOTTOM of the tank? If that is the case, you have a bad part. The vent tube should come almost to the top of the tank, like the overflow tube in a toilet tank.

On my tank, I just left the vent tube as is. If the tank overflows, the coolant will just dribble straight down to the ground.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Yes both tubes are flush.... I'm gonna run home during lunch and swap it out if that's the case. I knew it didn't look right !!

#9 ·
Went home during lunch and took the tank back to the shop where I bought it. They called the manufacturer while I was there and explained to them the problem. I got a new tank with the correct tubing, plus they offered to refund me half of the cost for the "trouble". :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.