Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Radiator fan clearance problems.
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 05:35 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedanbob View Post
Cooling Components makes a nice unit. In the front of my '33 ford, I have the short water pump, and still have less than 2 5/8" between the radiator and the water pump pulley. I could have had more, if I didn't have the big HEI distributor, or if I notched the firewall to set it back a bit more. Locating the fan as high as possible on the radiator allows the fan motor and water pump pulley to extend past each other.

I won't be switching now, since mine fits and works fine, but wish the CC folks gave some more detailed information, like a set of drawing with measurements at critical points.
I ended up calling them since their pic only says it allows more clearance. I agree, they should have a side schematic with the dimensions as they told me on the phone...

I found my note pad with the drawing I made at the time. At 6" down from top of shroud, it's 2 5/8 thick.....at 11 3/4" down it's 2 1/4. At 12" down it's 1 9/16 and at 16" it's 1 1/2. My fan pulley is right at the 11 3/4 -12" down and will have plenty of clearance.

I have a small body Pertronix distributor and the engine is tucked back close to the firewall. I didn't build the car but from what I've seen, the PO did a lot of good things that are nice to have.
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
sedanbob (05-02-2013)