Hot Rod Forum banner

Radiator fan clearance problems.

10K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Too Many Projects 
#1 ·
Need help. I have a 1934 ford fordor sedan with a 350 chevy engine. I only have 1 1/8 inches from the water pump pulley mount to the radiator. I installed a 15 inch flex fan. The engine slowly just keeps heating up to 230 plus degrees, so I have to shut it down. Is there a mechanical fan that will work or even an electric one. Total distance from the radiator to a fan belt is approx. 2 5/8 inches. The radiator is 17 in. x 22 in. The water pump centerline is approx. 8 1/2 inches from the bottom of the radiator. Any suggestions? Thanks.

#2 ·
I have a '33 sedan, 350 - same tight engine bay. I used an electric fan - diameter same as the radiator width. I had a shroud made to improve the efficiency of the fan - pulls through the entire radiator, not just in front of the fan. I located the fan as high on the radiator as I could. That helped give me a little more clearance in that it put the fan motor (thickest part of the fan) above the water pump pulley. They overlap a little. I am also using the short water pump - reverse flow in my case because of the serpentine belt setup I used.

Attachments

#4 ·
Radiator is kind of small 17x22, how many rows of tubes? I run an aluminum, 2 row 19x32 in an S15 it just gets by at idle, but does fine everywhere else.

Your installation will probably require you change to the short pump and all the accessory brackets and pulleys that go with that change. Plus a shroud between the radiator perimiter and the fan, even if you use an electric.

Bogie

#5 ·
17" is about as wide as he can go in his '34. I am guessing that the 22" is the height of the core, not the whole radiator - most are 17" x 27" for '33s and '34s. That's what I have in my '33. My electric fan is a little bigger - closer to 17". So far it cools it just fine - even with the a/c on.

#6 · (Edited)
A shroud should cure your problem ,I have a 17 in fan and a hand made shroud ,I made it to fit full core size for extra cooling note notch for radiator hose,,works fine now even at idle ,I also changed my fan temp switch to come on at 185 ,not at 210 like the original that came with the fan,i have a 4 flu aluminum radiator ,and a BBC,the black strip at top of shroud is not a gap it is a rubber door edge guard to keep the shroud from rubbing the radiator.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.