Radiator Fan Housing - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2004, 06:22 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Radiator Fan Housing

I just drop a SBC 350 in the 49 chevy pickup. I have a radiator
with a electric fan atached to it. I am put on a Machancal fan.

Do I need a fan Housing. It never had one on. Is there a
advantage other then safety.

If I need one to they sale them or do I have to get on made from
local fab shop.

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2004, 07:04 PM

Last photo:

fan shroud

By all means put a shroud on it. Not only does it keep fingers out of the fan blades, it assists the fan in drawing air through the radiator. An unshrouded fan can draw air from around it and that can reduce the air flow through the radiator.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:19 PM
It just takes time and money

Last journal entry: Specifications
Last photo:

49dream,
I doubt you will be able to find a commercially available shroud. Spend a couple of minutes in www.google.com search for "1949 Chevy radiator shroud". I think you may have to get one fabbed up by you local shop.
AngliaBob
PS: it's only 1 click on "spell check", prior to "post reply"...takes 10 seconds...
Old 12-05-2004, 07:26 PM

Last photo:

Several places sell custom fan shrouds check Summit or Jegs or even J C Whitney!....

You should run a shroud. Thats how the Jap cars can cool their engines with radiators not much bigger than a postage stamp!!!
Old 12-05-2004, 07:33 PM

Last photo:

fan shroud

Fabricating a fan shroud isnt that difficult. Ive made them for my stock cars in years past.
The idea is to completely box over the area of your cooling coils, just like with a factory unit. measure the distance from your radiator to the center of your fan blades. You do not want the shroud to completely enclose your blades. For instance if your blades are 3 inches from front to rear, you want to only go back over them 1 1/2 inch.
Get you a piece of .040" thick, aluminum sheet, large enough to cover your coils plus the depth of the distance from the coils to the fan.

IE: if the coil area is 19" X 16", and the measurement from the coils is 6 1/2 inches, you will want a piece 32" X 29 ", at minimum.
Bend down the ends your 6 1/2 inches( will require a cut of this size in each corner. Do not cut away the eccess and toss it. leave it attatched as tabs to the part you bend over. Take the tabs and then bend them to overlap the part you bent over, to cover the corner. Fasten this with a couple small rivits at each corner.
Next you need the diameter of your fan. and exactly where it will center on your shroud. Once this is done, cut a circle 1/2 inch larger in diameter than your fan. finally, get some 1/4 inch hose and slit it lenght wise to put on the edges of the boxed over part, where they will come in contact with the radiator. You can fasten this to the radiator with 3-4 quick ties on each side. I would use good heavy 1/4 inch wide ones.
Paint or decorate to suit you, and install.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.