Hot Rod Forum banner

Radiator fan thermostat

921 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  64nailhead 
#1 ·
What brand of fan radiator thermostat is recommended for 350 chevy engine. I have an electric fan with no fan blades due to space issue. There is such a huge difference in pricing on these things I am confused what the difference in quality is?

#5 ·
That was a dumb statement. I should have proofed it before I posted it. My electric fan does have blades! It cools fine but it is wired direct and comes on when I turn the key on. I want to put a thermostat on it which will automatically shut off at an adjustable degree.

#3 ·
OK, we'll skip over the no blades part, I'll let you deal with that.

All depends on how fancy you want, and how adept you are at wiring and setting up stuff like this. You can go as simple as just a manual toggle switch, all the way to a digital controler. I've used several different ones and they all work as long as their installed correctly.

I just installed a Dakota Digital controller on the street rod I'm building, seems pretty cool and seems to work fine.

#6 ·
fan sw

i'm not a fan of the one's that go into the rad. u have cooling air going over it just like the rad does, so how accurate are they.. don't know..
i also would suggest the sw into the intake manifold. now u are reading fluid. when i did mine i went to home depot and got a pvc electrical box about 5" sq. did all my wiring inside and painted to match fender well. looked clean and worked very well.

#10 ·
OP, you can spend all of the money want, but a simple switch and relay kit from Jegs, Summit, or E-bay for $40 is all that is needed. In terms of fans, we're running an OEM setup out of a 4th gen Camaro right directly from the junkyard to cool over 800+ HP with a decent aftermarket radiator that cost $220.

Spal makes a great fan that will be around for a long time - your choice and your budget.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.