Radiator Flush - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2011, 03:47 AM
quadrajunk, best junk there is

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Radiator Flush

Not sure if this is the right place to post this. I want to flush my 4 row radiator and 400 engine both are in the car. I am looking for ideas on what solution to flush with. What do you guys use? How about a 1) dilute solution of CLR (calcium, lime, rust remover) or 2) baking soda and water? Would either of these take out the water pump seal? Not sure what concentration to use? Any one know the radiator & engine capacity for a Pontiac 400?

BT

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2011, 10:42 PM

Last photo:

Since the rad. is very easy to remove I would take it to a rad. shop and have them rod & core it or use whatever flush system is needed. I wouldn't flush all the scale and rust that's in the block into the rad., would cause more problems that it would solve. If you google "flush engine block" there's all kinds of info.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:58 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

The heater core in my Dakota plugged up, I used a Prestone flush kit and followed the directions. Worked great!

Russ
Old 09-04-2011, 11:09 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327NUT
Since the rad. is very easy to remove I would take it to a rad. shop and have them rod & core it or use whatever flush system is needed. I wouldn't flush all the scale and rust that's in the block into the rad., would cause more problems that it would solve. If you google "flush engine block" there's all kinds of info.

I agree...
Old 09-04-2011, 11:17 AM

Rod and flush?

Don't take the radiator off and let a radiator shop get near it. When they remove the tanks and rod the tubes, the tubes are damaged beyond repair and the solder will not hold after they replace the tanks. Basically, a radiator shop can ruin a radiator. You may not be able to find a radiator shop because the EPA has just about put those guys out of business.

Get a new radiator such as Modine, for example, and you will not be taking it back off again in six months. Prestone has a flushing solution that works pretty good because the chemists at Prestone knows more about radiators than we do.

Always use Prestone 50/50 antifreeze coolant . It is 50% antifreeze mixed with 50% distilled water. Continued use of tap water will fill the smaller coolant passages with calcium deposits, or worse, if it is 'gyp" water. I used distilled water in my windshield washer tank and radiator. When Prestone came out with their 50/50 mix, I only use distilled water in my windshield washer tank with a pint of windshield washer antifreeze. Don't use more than a pint because it is alcohol and will damage the plastic washer components.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:14 PM

Last photo:

You must have some great rad. shops near you. I've had several done the way I explaned ....at quality professional shops and never had a problem. Of course buying a new unit is the way to go but sometimes the money just isn't there.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:47 PM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

I used to have a flush tool I built, patterned it after a really old one I saw once. You would remove the T-stat and hook it to the t-stat housing which is bolted back to the engine. It had a garden hose and an air hose. Let the system fill with water and hit the air hose breifly. It usually took several cycles to bring all the scale out of the block. On a GM I always pinched off the heater hoses because I did blow a heater core once, never did on any other make though. I always did it back through the radiator and all the crap will come through, out through the top hose. If you do build one, put a check valve in the water side, you don't want shop air pressure into your water system.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:07 PM
It's shady under this tree...

Last photo:

I just pull the t stat out, bolt the housing back on, shove a garden hose into the housing and let the water flow pull everything out.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

The flush solutions work ok in the radiators. You will never get all the crap out of the block unless you knock out a freeze plug. I learned this long ago. We had flushed for a long time both ways through the block. We then knoced out a plug on both sides and the lower part of the water jackets were still full of rust and scale. Unfortunately this is not practical in all vehicles but if you have clearance it is your best bet.

Chet

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.