radiator foaming? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2004, 07:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

radiator foaming?

67 olds cultass - now have lots foaming , dont know cause.

ok - i had an overheating episode.
upper radiator hose busted with pinhole leaks

did somthing stoopid - topped it off with red antifreeze.
didnt realize till later that is big NO NO.

replaced upper hose. wasnt getting flow in radiator.
and the where upper hose connects to radiator i now had leak.

cant tell , either bad seal between hose and radiator OR
the radiator has hairline crack at that inlet - I cant see it though.

so changed out thermostat - getting flow now.
leak at radiator still there - i really clamped down worm clamp,
but no luck stoppping leak.

then had lots of foaming with the coolant - is this normal on over heat? is cause of that red ^*&&^ i put in radiator?
something else?

thanks a lot...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2004, 11:18 AM
Pure American Muscle

Last journal entry: Still Going
Last photo:

Did you drain all the red bs you put in it?
If not I would drain all the fluid out put water in just start it up and run it a little bit and then just drain the water out when cooled down and make sure that you drain out of the block if you can. There could still be some fluid left in the block after that you may want to look for that crack try putting sealant around the inlet and such anyplace you think it might be not goobs but just seal where the pipes meet and such and then you can put your normal mixture back in and let that run. See if it still foams.

It may be that if it is not something in the system itself like the red fluid that is causeing the foaming it may just be the leak letting air or something in.

Also how bad is the foaming?
Does it look dirty can you see any red fluid?

Good luck
Old 07-22-2004, 12:19 PM

Thanks for response. Air in system - i think that make sense.

I did see debris in the foam. Not red stuff, didnt put in enough to change overall color.

I will try to fix the crack at inlet, but cant see it. What would be good type sealant? JB Weld work?

I checked and the inlet neck has a slight dent where worm clamp goes. Do you think small dent could be pushed out? Could that cause leak? I thought the hose would make a seal anyway.

Will have to flush several times, but gotta get leak under control.
Thanks again.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:59 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last photo:

Yes, flush the system good i'd just use water a few times to get it flushed out cause antifreeze isent the cheapest stuff to keep dumping in because of course you need clean new stuff every flush.
And dirt that is in there can become bigger problems and can make it foam.
I say air leaking because if you have antifreeze going out then something has to be bubbling in not just the air already nromally in there but through the anti freeze nroamlly I wouldn't think this would cause so much foam.
From what I have always seen when there is dirt or anything other then water and antifreeze in the system it will tend to bubble to the top in that foam. Try flushing the system a fee times and then go out and try and find a sealant that will be good heat wise. Though a warning if it is lower in the system or to much pressure is on it you will have to have to welded other wise the sealant will never hold up. as for the inlet that little crimp you put in it should cause the leak and there really isent to much you can do to get it out.

Also on that inlet the dent where the worm clamp went try putting something I read your post wrong sorry bout that yes try putting some sealant or just an extra seal laying around someyou can make to fit in there really good and then get the hose one and if you can tighten it down BEFORE the dent is you can that is and see if it still leaks.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:40 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Sounds to me that you may have a head gasket leak or a cracked head.

tom
Old 07-22-2004, 04:54 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last photo:

Still sounds like it's not leaking from there though I mean you should be able to see the fluid dripping from the block or there would be steam something in the matter that would point you to a head gasket or block. If you see fluid leaking around the inlet pipes then thats your best bet for a leak or in the rad. tray at the bottom sometimes they rust out under and you can't see it till you have it out. Is it a alu. rad.? or a steel or other metal? Check what I said then maybe if that dosent fix things take a look at that head gasket... but leave that for last...

Good luck
Old 07-22-2004, 05:02 PM
Grumpy

Last photo:

I dont know what your situation is with the leaks, but drain the fluid and fill it back up with the normal green antifreeze/water mix. Then if you are still getting over heat problems and foaming you should try a thing of radiator stop leak(copper or aluminum kind) to attempt to plug the crack or hole. If that does'nt work and you start seeing more foam and coolant in the oil, it's time to pop the heads off and look for coolant stains and cracks. Maybe get lucky and it will just be a head gasket.
Good luck!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.