radiator mounts - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2009, 12:45 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

radiator mounts

I need to mount the radiator in my 1927. T, it has a model A crosmenber in the front, I have a custom 4 core copper radiator with brass tanks witch fits in the orignal T shell.

can some one poast some pics of how they have mounted there radiator? or should it be solidley mounted or on rubber mounts?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2009, 08:04 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

There are a number of variables effecting how you mount...is the radiator in front, back or on top of the cross member? Also, since it is a T, do you want/need the struts/supports running up the the windshield post? Also other factors involved.

In general I would say the radiator can be bolted solidly to your frame and brackets, no rubber cushioning is necessary.

I doubt this will help much be here is how I've mounted the rad in my sedan delivery. Might give you some ideas.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:58 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

t radiator mount

It depends on how rigid your frame is. the original T frames had a lot of twist and flex on rough roads so they were mounted with small coil springs. parts companies that deal with restoration parts still have them.. Check out snyders or MAC or go the the MTFCA and they have a list of parts companies... If your radiator has the original T type ears on the bottom you can go original or rubber mounts. I used the small shock absorber donuts on one of mine. If you use original type bottom only nounts you should have a brace from the radiator to the firewall or a top hose that won't allow the wind to push it back into the fan. My son had a rad like CBoy's with the side flanges and used the upright angle irons, It depends on your radiator and how much space you have, for T information check out tbucketeers or The National T Bucket Aliance.

Last edited by timothale; 09-15-2009 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:16 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale
It depends on how rigid your frame is. the original T frames had a lot of twist and flex...
Good T-specific info, timothale. I would defer to our observations about the use of cushions or rubber mounting for any flex-chassis application.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:06 AM
Last photo:

The OEM way a radiator is mounted to a 33-34 Ford uses rubber cusions and a spring and is mounted directly to the frame.

Vince
Old 09-15-2009, 05:37 PM

Last photo:

Here is a pic, I will take a closer one when I get a chance, Don't be fooled by the chassis horns, its not a model A chassis but I welded A chassis horns on.

I would like to have stays running from the radiator shell to the firewall, as I am not using a bonnet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T. Rod 003.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	40682  
Old 09-15-2009, 05:43 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
There are a number of variables effecting how you mount...is the radiator in front, back or on top of the cross member? Also, since it is a T, do you want/need the struts/supports running up the the windshield post? Also other factors involved.

In general I would say the radiator can be bolted solidly to your frame and brackets, no rubber cushioning is necessary.

I doubt this will help much be here is how I've mounted the rad in my sedan delivery. Might give you some ideas.

I was thinking of riveting some brackets to the side like your radiator but I don't think the steel strips up the side are up to it on mine

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.