Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   radiator position (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/radiator-position-234242.html)

V8Square 06-23-2013 01:38 PM

radiator position
 
Being this is my first project like this, I have many questions. I am running a tube chassis, sbc 350/330 horse, Mustang II front suspension, 700R4 with a narrowed 9" Ford triangulated 4 bar rear en d. Body is a 1969 VW Squareback. My question is, at what height is best for my radiator in conjunction with the engine? Also, how close can I mount it in front of the engine? I will be running an electric fan only. Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/l...cture006-3.jpg

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/l...AREBACH002.jpg

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/l...Picture007.jpg

68NovaSS 06-23-2013 01:46 PM

The electric fan in my BB T-Bucket, set up similar to yours, is only about an inch from the water pump pulley and does fine. With the fan being in front of the motor, it's moving motor heat away from the radiator.

I've seen radiators mounted completely flat on econo dragsters and at severe angles in other applications, height isn't really an issue, but less angle allows more air to move through the fins at highway speeds. If front mounted, an air dam would help direct air to the radiator.

techinspector1 06-23-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8Square (Post 1687785)
Being this is my first project like this, I have many questions. I am running a tube chassis, sbc 350/330 horse, Mustang II front suspension, 700R4 with a narrowed 9" Ford triangulated 4 bar rear en d. Body is a 1969 VW Squareback. My question is, at what height is best for my radiator in conjunction with the engine? Also, how close can I mount it in front of the engine? I will be running an electric fan only. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mount it so that the water pump shaft points to the center of the fan motor and as close to the motor as possible front and rear. A couple of stock rubber cooling hoses will help you position it. No need to put the radiator in a custom place and then have to jump through hoops to run hoses to it. Use stock stuff when you can. Don't forget the spring in the lower hose to prevent it collapsing and shutting off supply to the motor.

V8Square 06-23-2013 02:47 PM

Thanks for the replies. I always thought that the height of the radiator was an issue, also. So, the way I have my fan, on my radiator, is on the engine side. Is that OK, as I want to ran a/c in my project and would need to have the condenser in front of my radiator unless I mount it somewhere else with it's own fan. Thoughts, suggestions.

V8Square 06-23-2013 02:50 PM

By the way, my fan is a puller type.

V8Square 06-23-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techinspector1 (Post 1687789)
Mount it so that the water pump shaft points to the center of the fan motor and as close to the motor as possible front and rear. A couple of stock rubber cooling hoses will help you position it. No need to put the radiator in a custom place and then have to jump through hoops to run hoses to it. Use stock stuff when you can. Don't forget the spring in the lower hose to prevent it collapsing and shutting off supply to the motor.

Are all stock radiator hoses the same length on a small block 350? I know that must sound like a dumb question, but I had to ask.

evolvo 06-23-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8Square (Post 1687795)
Thanks for the replies. I always thought that the height of the radiator was an issue, also. So, the way I have my fan, on my radiator, is on the engine side. Is that OK, as I want to ran a/c in my project and would need to have the condenser in front of my radiator unless I mount it somewhere else with it's own fan. Thoughts, suggestions.

The height of the radiator is fairly loose, you just don't want it's top lower than the water pump (I can't imagine anyone doing this!).

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8Square (Post 1687798)
By the way, my fan is a puller type.

IMO puller fans are more efficient, plus it certainly makes mounting the A/C condenser much easier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8Square (Post 1687830)
Are all stock radiator hoses the same length on a small block 350? I know that must sound like a dumb question, but I had to ask.

I really doubt that they are.

V8Square 06-24-2013 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evolvo (Post 1687843)
The height of the radiator is fairly loose, you just don't want it's top lower than the water pump (I can't imagine anyone doing this!).



IMO puller fans are more efficient, plus it certainly makes mounting the A/C condenser much easier.



I really doubt that they are.

Thanks for the info

timothale 06-24-2013 07:13 AM

Radiaator mounting
 
With the radiator lower than the engine you end up with trapped air in the system. In the Factory they used a vacuum-pressure fill system to get out the air, then fill. On some cars with the heater core mounted higher trapped air would minimize the amount of heat output. You can loosen a high heater hose slide it back. drill a small bleed hole, Run the car engine and when you get coolant out the hole slide the hose back and tighten the clamp. I have seen some guys use a drain petcock on the intake manifold to bleed out air. With an over flow can, the air in the system will expand and expell coolant, then when the system cools down draw the coolant back in the system. I have seen some engine installations where a radiator cap contraption has in in and out radiator hoses and is mounted highest in the system. Summit Racing Part Number: BCI-72099. I couldn't find a good pict, with one of these you don't use the radiator mounted cap after you get most of the coolant in the system . top it off with the hos-cap. 60's tunderbirds and some Cobra Kits used the combo small tank'-filler- radiator cap.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.