Hot Rod Forum banner

Radiator question

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  fat tire 
#1 ·
Will a stock radiator in a 350 chevelle handle a new vintage air . Thanks in advance for your advice.

#4 ·
Depending on the rad and how good the airflow through it is, it may or may not be good enough. It'll also depend on how much power your engine is making and how the car is driven.

Realistically, if the A/C stuff doesn't get in the way of changing the rad easily, I'd try it and see if it's good enough for your application before spending money on a new rad.

#7 ·
The factory stepped up the fin quantity if without air and a 2 row radiator with air a 3 row was used. If a big block with a 3 row sans air with it they went to 4 rows.

I haven't found 2 row aluminum aftermarkets to be particularly effective with A/C; you'll be better off to start with a three row aluminum if you go that route.

Bogie

#8 ·
FWIW I have a 3 row champion radiator and no AC. I never see heat above 170 while driving and stop and go traffic
I am actually breaking in a new engine and I covered the entire front of the car with 2 heavy quilts clear to the ground and after 15 minutes of idling the engine temp still only rose to 190*
another 15 minutes of increasing engine speed and idle and increasing speed , the temp got close to 200 but that is it. gauge in

each head show the same temp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.