Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Radiator to shroud clearance??
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2008, 09:22 AM

Last journal entry: Here is the car after paint
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Here are some of the issues that I was facing on my project. Yes I tried to use the original fan, moving the engine up or down was also explored. I think the mechanical fans cool better but there is sometimes that its is almost impossible to use them. I could have used the factory intake tube, which would of solved the fan hitting it but then it was in the way of the radiator hoses and was too long.

Here is the mechanical fan with the original radiator. The blades hit the lower outlet and the intake tube.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the brace, with this setup I do have barely enough room for everything. I hope this will work, if not back to the drawing board.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoTFrenzel
JMO IME
The face of the shroud needs to be as far from the radiator core as reasonably possible, even if that means offsetting the fan to one side or toward one corner to avoid the pump shaft for additional clearance. Two smaller fans side by side usually move more air and eliminate the shaft clearance problem.
A distance of 1 1/2 inches should be considered minimum for unrestricted airflow, as well as a "funnel design" if possible which enhances airflow at speed.

Above 30 mph no fan should be required, so if overheating occurs as road speed, then relief holes that automatically close with rubber flappers might be necessary to get enough airflow through the radiator.

For superior cooling a high pitch mechanical fan is much preferred,
especially with a thermostatic fan clutch.
4 inches of clearance is needed to get a fan clutch in there, depending on the applicaton. Looking at those pictures, I would use a thermostatic fan clutch.

An electric fan with 2700 cfm free flow will NOT cool a decent 350 engine unless you have a humongous radiator and a high flow water pump.
Air Conditioning will probably be out of the question.