Radiator: with or without trans cooler? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2012, 04:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Radiator: with or without trans cooler?

I'm at the point of my project when I need to start shopping for a radiator. I have a Olds 455 w/ auto trans in a '59 Chev pickup. I'm looking for the biggest radiator that will fit.

Will I loose efficiency with a radiator that has an internal transmission cooler?
Would I be better off using a separate cooler?

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2012, 05:02 PM

Last photo:

I always use a seperate cooler, one of the things I like most is that you don't have to worry about wasting your trans if the cooler inside the radiator springs a leak. Although the radiator mounted coolers are probably more efficient.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:08 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjet
I'm at the point of my project when I need to start shopping for a radiator. I have a Olds 455 w/ auto trans in a '59 Chev pickup. I'm looking for the biggest radiator that will fit.

Will I loose efficiency with a radiator that has an internal transmission cooler?

Thanks
I don't think you will loose any efficiency at all, JMO
Myself i would go with a radiator that already has the cooler built in. IMHO
separate cooler is ok i just don't really want anything blocking my radiator even though they don't really cause to much blockage but it going to some no way around it. JMO I mean people run the external coolers all the time with no problems i heve even ran them also.

Cole
Old 01-26-2012, 06:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjet

Thanks
Being an expat form California and having lived around the country let me say this about that. Connecticut is a way different environmental situation where you not only need to cool the tranny oil but heat it during the winter. It therefore will be a good idea to run a tranny heat exchanger in the radiator. This will have no effect on engine efficiency assuming you put a radiator in the truck large enough to cool the 455, which I don's see as a problem as there's plenty of space in a 59's engine room for a lot of radiator.

For summer you may want a secondary external cooler, the high humidity of eastern summers makes cooling a bigger problem than the higher temps but with lower humidity in the west.

I would route to the tranny first, then to an external cooler that has a thermal bypass so that the tranny oil doesn't get over cooled in the winter.

While your shopping for radiators you may want to consider one with an engine oil heat exchanger for the same reasons. Running the engine oil through a radiator heat exchanger really speeds up engine warm up from many miles to mile or two, this is really good for them in cold weather, adds life to the engine and comfort in the cab. External cooler and thermal bypass are also good ideas hear as on the tranny. Pretty soon it get to look like the way GM does a Canadian truck.

Bogie
Old 01-26-2012, 08:25 PM

Last photo:

That's good info, I didn't think of that.
So, at this point, I'm leaning toward the radiator with the internal trans cooler. I'm waiting to hear back from Walker on a price and dims.

FYI, I had a hard time keeping this 455 cool before [before the rebuild, now I probably have 100 more HP]

The radiator I took out was a big 2 row because a 4 row wouldn't fit [with the OEM fan]. Last week I had the mounts re-welded lower so I can move the eng and trans back about 1.5". I also had the back side of the valve covers cut to accommodate the setback. Here is the before pic.

http://59chevypickup.webs.com/apps/p...toid=147338455

I'm also going to install a shorter water pump - see link

http://59chevypickup.webs.com/apps/p...toid=114033436

I'm hoping I will end up with 2-1/2 to 3" more clearance in the front to allow a big radiator and still fit the 19" HD Olds clutch fan
Old 01-26-2012, 08:58 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

if you are going to be putting in a 4 row core
I would use the built in trans cooler
it will help warm the trans in the winter months
Old 01-27-2012, 08:21 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

My Walker a/c style radiator has the trans cooler in it - but am not using it as I have another external and so far haven't seen a problem. But, with that said, it's there in case I feel the ATF is running too hot, and will then plumb it in line with the other.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:20 AM

When you add the external cooler, use a stacked plate version with metal straps to mount it (not fasteners that push through the radiator). That will maintain better radiator air flow/temp (if there is a little space between the trans cooler and radiator), and won't put any physical strain on the radiator tubes. Trucks usually ride fairly rough and I don't like to use only those plastic push through fasteners.

Several online places sell the Long LPD stacked plate coolers and they work very well. They are designed to bypass the cooler when temps are cold, so you still get relatively fast trans warm-up. You can get whatever size fits best.

Bruce
Old 03-08-2012, 06:56 AM

Last photo:

Update

I purchased a radiator

After discussing my plans with U.S. Radiator, they strongly encouraged me not to get the internal trans cooler. The reasoning is that there's only so much area for the radiator, & the internal cooler takes up cooling space.
Regarding the warm-up, I don't plan on driving the truck too much in cold weather. I don't have a heater in the truck anyway.

As for the radiator I selected, I chose their tripleflow optima core.

US Radiator

I'm also gettin some 2x2 s/s wire mesh to protect the radiator

stainless wire cloth

I'll be installing the radiator next month so I can break-in the new cam.

Question - I don't have a transmission cooler at the present time. Do I need to install one just to break in the cam? I was planning on just hooking up the hoses together. Not gonna drive it right now

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.