Radio Reception Q - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2003, 07:57 AM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Radio Reception Q

I just installed a new radio/cassette player in my truck yesterday. All went well and it's a great unit! But when I touch my steering wheel or shifter, the signal lessens and goes from stereo to mono - sometimes it's the reverse! Nothing happens if I touch the radio, dash, steering column or side-mounted handbrake -- only when I touch the steering wheel or shifter.

My grounds are good ... I don't get it.

Any help?

Thanks.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2003, 08:59 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

You sound like ELECTROMAN!!
Old 08-06-2003, 10:08 AM

Last photo:

I ... AM ... Electroman!

I figured it out ... by mistake, though. I bought an antenna noise filter and alt. noise filter today and installed them. The weirdness went away.

I still don't understand it, but it's fixed ... so I'm a happy hotrodder again.

PS -- Here's a link to my photo-diary of the install :
1955 Chevy Stereo

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup

Last edited by horvath; 08-06-2003 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:41 AM
British Style with USA Muscle

Last photo:

Alan,
Just for the heck of it check the antenna ground. Also what type of antenna are you running? Sometimes they don't get a good ground and when your moving in the car your changing the RF field, I've seen this before in a couple of buddy's radios drove us nuts for a day or two.

Regards
Mark
Old 08-09-2003, 09:36 AM

Last photo:

Thanks, Mark

It's a powered antenna ... not the kind that goes up and down -- I had that style and it was in the way of my hood (when opened) and also taking up too much room under the dash (when I installed the AC). So I bought this little "nub" of an antenna that has a power booster with it. Only like $20 ... not the best, but suitable for now.

I THOUGHT I fixed it, but now I'm realizing that I didn't -- sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't -- that's what freaks me out!! And I've only noticed it when I'm sitting in the driveway ... never think to check it when I'm driving.

You may be right, Mark -- I haven't checked the antenna ground (wil do that today). The radio is grounded - that's for sure - I added another ground to the radio body yesterday.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 08-09-2003, 09:51 AM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

By the way, nice job on the template! I hope it turns out to be just a ground problem. Radio signals are weird somtimes, you never know what can cause interference. Does it do it if you are parked somewhere else like a mall parking lot? Is the tape player working normally? Radio stinks anyway.

Old 08-09-2003, 09:59 AM

Last photo:

Thanks, D! I put the plywood faceplate in yesterday (pics are at my site now), and the water and clamps worked great -- I put a curve in it that matches the dash perfectly! Ain't it great when things go well so effortlessly?

I haven't tried it anywhere other than my driveway -- I touch the shifter (metal shaft) and radio reception goes bad ... or if it's bad, it goes good ... whacky, man!

The tape player ROCKS! Those Sony Xplode speakers were the perfect match -- I can turn the volume, treble and bass up FULL blast and there's zero distortion. I'm real happy about that.

You're right - radio stinks anyway. Plus, I very rarely listen to tunes while driving ... I'd rather listen to the engine and pipes. My primary reason for doing all this was to clean up my (butchered) dash ... and sometimes I do like cranking some tunes.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 08-09-2003, 11:24 AM

Last photo:

This is INSANE, man!

I checked the antena ground and it's just fine. I had placed a separate ground wire from the antenna body when I installed it, to be sure ... and it's in place.

But here's the crazy part -- I've been experiencing this thing, like I've said, sitting in the driveway ... so I'm always sitting there with the driver-door closed, but ajar -- not fully shut. After checking the antenna ground, I turned the radio on again and the same thing is happening. If I touch the shifter, a better signal happens ... or if it's already a good signal, a worse signal happens.

THEN! I happened to open the driver-door ALL the way, and I got a good signal, uneffected by touching the shifter! So I partially close the door and the problem reappears. Next, I COMPLETELY close the door and, again, the problem disappears. So this is only happening when the driver-door is NEARLY closed, but not shut.

If the door is all the way open, or completely shut, everything is fine - no antenna interference. But if the door is ajar, there's some kind of broken ground loop? I DO NOT UNDERSTAND!!!

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup

Last edited by horvath; 08-09-2003 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-09-2003, 11:40 AM
British Style with USA Muscle

Last photo:

Is the antenna under the dash?!!! Ack, you have a metal dash right? Antennas really need to be out side for best reception. This is going to get a bit deep here, what it sounds like your experiancing is the radio waves being sucked up and they cannot easily get to the antenna but as you move the doors or yourself in the truck you alow them a path to get in. Can you just for kicks move the antenna outside the truck? if the problem clears could you mount the antenna under the truck?

Regards
Mark
Old 08-09-2003, 12:53 PM

Last photo:

LOL! Thanks, Mark.

The antenna is outside the truck, but it's just about 2" high -- it has a power booster to it, but it IS a cheapo-crappo antenna. I just bought it to fill the hole on the cowl where the old power antenna was ... which I had to remove because it was just an overall bad choice (see my post above - 3 up).

So, maybe this is just a matter of a piece-of-crap antenna?

That's cool! -- because, come September, I'm having some painting done on the truck ... I'm having all the scratches and nicks touched up, and then there's this "gold" color on the grill, running boards and tailgate ("CHEVROLET") and I'm changing that color to a metal-flake that's the same color as the truck, but much darker. When I have all that done, I'm gonna plug up the antenna hole and go with an original 1954 side-mount antenna.

So I guess I'll call it quits on this "problem" and figure the side-mount antenna will take care of it. In fact, I can install the side-mount now and just disconnect the one I'm presently using (leaving it there until the bodywork is done).

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 08-09-2003, 02:34 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Physics is probably messing things up again. To properly absorb radio waves a wand antenna needs to be about 28" to 36" long. There are 'hi-tech' shorty, electronic, etc., antennas out there that claim to do just as well but don't. That is the first thing I would attack. There are several nifty looking choices of antenna design at the auto parts store that are the proper length and are surprisingly inexpensive. Why not get a power antenna? That is what I plan to do for my pickup - should drop right into the stock hole.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:59 PM

Last photo:

I had a power antenna there before, but if it was UP and I decided to open my hood, it would trash the antenna! That wasn't a problem though, 'cause I would just make sure it was down when I opened the hood. But THEN I installed my new AC, and the unit (under the dash) for the power antenna was totally in the way (you know the black plastic motor box ... like 4" x 6" x 2") -- it HAD to come out.

So, there I was with a new AC/Heat deal, and a hole in my cowl that would let rain into my interior ... I saw this little 2" bugger with a power booster at the auto store and thought, "Ah! A perfect fit in the cowl, with nothing under the dash!" I bought it and put it in and it seemed pretty cool until I installed the radio : I can only dial in ONE FM station (a local college station) and 2 AM stations that BARELY come in at all. Obviously, this antenna bites the big one, eh?

Originally, a 54 Chevy pickup has a 28"-36" antenna that is side-mounted on the driver side cowl, behind the front fender ... and I think it'd be cool to duplicate that. I can get a new one for $18 + shipping ... install it ... and just remove the crappo deal when I do my body work next month.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 08-09-2003, 10:34 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Sounds like a winner. Also sounds like your cowl mounted antenna is in the wrong place. Mine is very near the windshield so the hood misses it by a lot.
Old 08-09-2003, 11:16 PM

Last photo:

This may or may not help, but a few years ago I had a seemlier problem with a Ken-Wood in dash Auto Radio. There are external ground type that you must ground from the Radio frame or Chassis to the Car Body and Frame. And then there are the one's that have a floating ground and this type is always looking for a ground. This kind must be wired per the installation instruction. If not it just does all kind of wired things. Any way it is what was the problem with mine and after re installing it correctly I had no more problems. Just a thought! ---------------------Gene Neal
Old 08-09-2003, 11:31 PM

Last photo:

Thanks, Gene.

Hey, Willys36 : Yeah ... definitely an improper install of an antenna by the PO.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.