Rafters need to be raised higher... - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2004, 03:36 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

*Update*

Just got done working on the truss in my shop that needed to be raised higher (the other truss didn't have to be modified after all, it cleared the vehicle fine). I can tell you one thing, now I know why contractors charge so much to built what ever you need done or built. I still have a little to do. But all in all, I'm done. The only other thing that I "HAVE" to do is, I have to re-wire the whole side where the lift is. The wiring (for the lights and what not) was every where and I'm going to change that real soon.

FYI....A few of the reasons it took me so long was cause I kept changing the location of the lift (it wasn't bolted down yet is why I was able to keep moving it around). And I could not make up my mind about how I was going to build the support around the lift. I did have a support built around the lift that was made out of treated 4x4 lumber. But I wasn't happy with it, so I took it down and started over. I ended up using steel square tubing post (1.5 by 1.5) and for the top, I stuck with 4x4 lumber. You can see some of the support in one of the pictures (P5310003). Plus, I had trouble finding paint for the steel (paint that matched the lift). After I found the paint, I had to wait on the paint company cause they didn't have all the different paint codes to mix the paint.

So, this is where I'm at as of right know. Pictures can be found at the link below.

Ooo yes, "NEVER EVER", let me say that again, "NEVER EVER" try to wire up a 220v breaker without killing main power to the sub panel. My shop sub panel has 150 amp service going to it. It has three main wires that come into it from the house. Well, I decided to wire the lift motor without killing the power. I took the breaker switch and put it on the off position and popped it into it place in the panel. I striped the outer plastic off the wires and feed the three wires into the panel with no problems. First thing, I wired the ground in and then wired the black wire into the breaker with no trouble. All was left was the neutral wire to be wired in the breaker as well (220 breaker, both black and white wires are HOT). I took my screw driver and was loosing the screw (all I had to do was slip the wire under it and tighten it back down) and my screw driver slipped off the screw and I hit one of the main lines which I think is 50 amps. I had my left hand on the sub panel (which helped in grounding me out) and I was leaning forward to help loosen the screw. The screw driver slip and bammmmm. All I can remember was my feet getting blown out from underneith me. I've served in the Marine Corps and have [color=red]never[/color] felt pain like that before. The next time I need to wire something up in the sub panel. I'm making sure the sub panel has zero volts and amps going to it. And if it means blowing up the closest transformer, so be it. I WILL NEVER BE SHOCKED AGAIN.

Anyways, take a look at the pictures and let me know what you all think.

http://community.webshots.com/album/148274990LkEgHn

Thanks for your all's help.

Cliff

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2004, 05:06 PM

Last photo:

Cliff, that is a really nice job you did on your project. I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it. But my, oh my, we are fortunate to have you with us! That was sound advice you gave. They put on-off switches on stuff for a good reason.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:10 PM
Dodge ain't all bad

Last photo:

Cliff
Glad your alright, be sure to watch yourself sometimes you can get an aftershock to your body after being hit with that much voltage/amperage. You can hurt your body on the interior and not know it for a week or later might be a thought to call your doctor and tell him what happened and see if he should check you out or not, wouldn't hurt to call and check. By the way that hoist would look and work better in my garage. Your doing a great job, keep up the good work

30dee
Old 06-02-2004, 09:36 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by 5window
Cliff, They put on-off switches on stuff for a good reason.
The sub panel reminded me of that when it threw me on the floor. Plus I don't think, well I know I will never need a reminder. Cause if I forget, I will be reminded again and thats not going to happen. Once is enough for me.

Quote:
Originally posted by 30desoto
Cliff
By the way that hoist would look and work better in my garage. Your doing a great job, keep up the good work

30dee
Lifts don't work or mount very well in a garage. They work better in shops...lol. By the way, wifes parks there car in the garage and men work out of shops.

Cliff

*[color=red]NOTE[/color]*
Just messing with you.

Last edited by Cliff Elikofer; 06-02-2004 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:20 PM
Dodge ain't all bad

Last photo:

Cliff
Alright ya got me, now I wish I had a shop to work in instead of the wifes garage
Some people are just lucky
30dee
Old 06-04-2004, 08:41 AM

Last photo:

My buddy's wife just spent a ton on a new garage. He can park his old Packard in there, as long as it doesn't get mud on the floor. His '51 Chevy Truck project is out in a walled off corner of his machine shed.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:48 PM
Dodge ain't all bad

Last photo:

I know how he feels, kinda, my garage is 35x30 with 10 foot ceilings, 2 9x10 overhead doors, I have half the garage sheeted off with blue tarps and use my side for the desoto, do all the welding sanding on my side just pull out the ol honda and keep the wife's side cleaned when i'm done, and my shop is right next to it and it's 15x25 with alot of room for all my parts and projects, glad you got a good shop I have been thinking of adding on for one myself but it suffur alittle with what I have or put the 30dee on hold to pay for it. Think I'll wait for awhile and use the garage.
30dee

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.