Raining again - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2004, 03:05 PM
Dried up in the Drought! :(

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

Raining again

Last year we couldn't buy a rain and this year it seems to be making up for it. I thought that I could get down to Clark county today and pick up that Maverick Stallion but I think that I will put that on hold until it dries up a little. I really don't like the thought of getting my truck stuck in the steep hilly pasture that the car is sitting in. I am getting a little curious whether it is a 6 or a V8 car. I couldn't get the hood open (nobody else could either) because the latch was stuck and I did not think to write down the serial number. I went to that sale to see what the 54 Ford 2 door sedan brought (it was a little more than I wanted to spend at the time for what it is). The stallion wasn't even on the sale bill but when I walked over that hill and seen it sitting there I knew that I would be bidding on that car. I already owned 6 Mavericks two 70 Grabbers, two 75 2 doors, a 73 4 door and a 75 4 door. Ford only made the Maverick Stallion one year, 1976, so it is the rarest Maverick that I own.

If the auctioneer had went in a different order I would have bid on that 50 Ford 2 door sedan. It went for $60.00. The drivers side floor looked pretty rusty but what I could see of the rest of the body looked fairly decent. I don't know what the other guy would have went up to on that car but if the auction order was different he would of had to come up with quite a bit more money.

My brother yelled at me for not bidding on the almost complete 56 Ford F100 but they sold that one before the stallion also and I was not going to bid on anything else before they sold it.

Well it looks like it is clearing up so I suppose I should go out and work on something.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2004, 03:44 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

i'd never say we don't need the rain, but it could stand to dry out a bit. take it while we can get it i guess.....

Crashfarmer, how many old fords have you got stashed out in that barn?

a 50 ford for $60???? WOW!!! how'd you pass on that?

I hope your maverick is a v8.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:11 PM

Last photo:

Lots of rain is better than no rain.

Larry I have around 60 Fords out here not counting my 69 F100 and my 72 carhauler.

And yes. I am really kicking myself for passing on that 50. It looked a lot better after that guy had it loaded on his truck than it did sitting in the weeds. I guess I will have to plead insanity on that, I have had a weakness for Mavericks and I wanted to make sure I had the cash to buy that one.

I hope it is a V8 also, but only a little over 10% of 76 Mavericks had the V8.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:07 PM
Start those projects someday

Last journal entry: Divco - has been on the back burner
Last photo:

farmer .... how many vehicles you got??? 60 Fords, yet I see so many "others" in the background of the pics in your gallery. I thought I had too many with 34. Looks like ya beat me. I especially like the COE and the 36 pu in the pics.
Very nice projects!
Ross
Old 07-06-2004, 12:01 AM

Last photo:

i'm kinda curious what your plans are for the 60+ cars that you have?
do you sell parts? or do you just enjoy the company?

i had 5 cars at one time when i was 17. i thought that i had too many. now i only have two.....

how many cars do you have all together?
Old 07-06-2004, 09:25 AM

Last photo:

Hobby gone wild

This is what happens when your hobby goes wild. I have around 150 vehicles and my brother probably has about the same amount.

Yes, I do sell a few parts. In the begining I would not sell anything but once you have so many it begins to make sense to get rid of a few things. I sold about 5 cars last year but I got about 20 to 30 more. My brother has not sold anything but he does talk about it every now and then.

I guess that my Dad started the cars collecting around the place, the only vehicle that he sold was his 1951 Dodge 2 ton truck. He gave me the 1956 Ford 2 door sedan (his first new car) when I turned 14.

We still have the 1949 Dodge Coronet, 1936 Dodge truck and 1925 D John Deere that my Grandpa bought new.

They just keep collecting around here, I have to go get the Maverick Stallion that I just bought and my brother just told me last night that we have three more Mustangs to go get. He just bought 2 Mach 1 Mustangs and one fastback from some old guy that had them for years.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:32 AM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

i want to go wild too. why can't i go wild? oh yeah, nevermind. the ol lady just reminded me...... well i know who ima gonna holler at when i get to go a little crazy......
Old 07-07-2004, 05:22 PM
Let the wheels of life roll on

Last journal entry: donor truck for hot rod hellion
Last photo:

crash, why do you collect them? do you restore 'em? that torino cobra looks like a beast!

got anything fer a '23 T?
Old 07-07-2004, 08:27 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by 40fordtruck_son
crash, why do you collect them? do you restore 'em? that torino cobra looks like a
beast!

Why do I collect them? That is a real good question. Why does anybody do it? I can think
of a 3 reasons. They may or may not be good.

1. You have always loved almost anything with wheels. Ever since you got old enough to
lift a wrench and you got the mistaken impression that Dad told you to tear down the
Model A engine, you have had a wrench in you hand as much as possible ( I can still
remember the beating I got for that one). You look at all this iron as some kind of a prized
possession. You do not care how bad of a rusted out piece of dog-doo it is you just have
to own it. You have this burning desire to save cars from the crusher and get some
demented pleasure from outbidding them at auctions. The crusher dudes all tell you that at
least they have some kind of plan for all the cars that they buy. They get some demented
pleasure from telling you that, "I crushed, 28, 57 chevys in one day and then I called up all
the ******* that called me wanting parts and told them that I had just crushed all the 57
chevys that I had." This only makes you a little more determined to outbid them on more
stuff on the next auction even though it might mean that you will not be able to eat for a
week. You have nightmares about crushed 57 chevys for the next month. You grow a big
garden and heat your house with wood so you have more money to buy cars away from
the crushers (you work your rear off in the garden and cutting wood). The crusher dudes
all think that you are insane. The neighbors all think that you are insane. Your Mom thinks
that you are insane. You tell your Mom and your neighbors that you are starting a used
parts business. Your Mom still thinks you are insane but the neighbors look at you like
you are a little less crazy. Some of the neighbors actually come over and ask for parts, you
rarely have what they need. You find out about the “Highway Beautification act of 1971”
that makes it illegal for anyone in the USA to have more than 6 unlicensed vehicles sitting
on your property without having a salvage license. You read in the paper about one of
your friends that got busted in your county for selling used auto parts without a license.
You see on the TV how county officials are flying over farms and making people, with
over 6 vehicles, get rid of there “junk” using the “Highway Beautification act of 1971”.
You go to the expense of getting a license for used parts dealer, vehicle recycler and
vehicle rebuilder to protect your prized possessions. You buy an expensive old truck, put
a lot of money in it and find out that you have to insure it as a “commercial vehicle”. Your
insurance carrier tells you that they are a “family insurance company” and they do not
insure commercial vehicles. You find out that “commercial truck insurance” is not real
cheap. You think that selling 5 cars and getting 25 more is a “real good year” even though
you are deeper in the red than ever. Your Mom keeps telling you how, “She wishes that
you would use your college education”. You are still paying for your college education
but you devote full-time to your car business in the hope of “making it big someday”.
Your brother and your best friend catch the same disease. Your wife scours the want ads
looking for auctions with old cars on them. You help your best friend sneak his car
purchases onto his farm without his wife’s knowledge because she “Doesn’t want him to
bring home any more junk. She demands that it be in running order before he buys it”.

I cut reason number one short, I could go on all week about it.

2. You are a car crusher. Crush Kill Destroy is your motto. You look at an old car and all
you want to do is flatten it.

3. You are truly insane, you believe that you are doing the right thing by spending a good
portion of your life and money, collecting all of these cars.

I am not sure which one of these reasons I fit into. I do know that it is not number two.

Last edited by CrashFarmer2; 07-07-2004 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:59 PM

Last photo:

O.

ahem.

youre my hero, dude!

any need for an extra hand round that thur farm? always up for savin' cars from crushers!

Da DA DA DUMMMM "its flathead, and his side-kick, Duece. saving classics from all over the United states of america"

just like captain america
Old 07-07-2004, 09:34 PM

Last photo:

Hey, I can always use extra help. There is never enough time to get everything done.

What's that, my wife has just found another auction with cars on it. HUMMM! a 1964 Ford Galaxie; turquois, 2 door htp. a 1965 Ford F250; Green. a 1966 F150; White. Wait a minute, I didn't think that
Ford used the F150 designation until the mid-seventies. So is it a 1966 F100 or a 1976 F150? I guess that I should go and find out. Maybe I will win the lottery before Saturday and I can buy something!
Old 07-07-2004, 10:42 PM
Start those projects someday

Last journal entry: Divco - has been on the back burner
Last photo:

crash .......................... I think your my long lost identical twin brother separated at birth!!!
Old 07-08-2004, 10:58 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
crash, why do you collect them? do you restore 'em? that torino cobra looks like a beast!

40, we had a lot of fun in that torino. When we towed it home from Polk City, some guy at a gas station thought that we were headed for a drag race somewhere. We didn't bother to tell him that it had a blown engine.

The first engine we stuck in it was a 289, the only thing that engine had was a big cam otherwise it was completely stock. It was like a sheep wearing wolf's clothing. the 289 would hardly spin the tires but it sure sounded mean idling around town.

When the 351 Cleveland was installed it was a whole different story. The fun really began. Man, did that thing run.

2-manytoyzs, I am glad that I am not the only one.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:23 PM

Last photo:

ohhh mama, you know you wanna sell it to a kid who has a death wish, right?

soo uhh, got anything for a 23 T?

Old 07-10-2004, 08:10 AM

Last photo:

Quote:

Sorry 40, the Torino is not for sale. But I might have something that would work an a 23 T, depends on what you are looking for.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.