Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rally Stripes...
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2006, 12:00 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLarson69
I have a 1977 Cutlass Supreme which I'm redoing. I'll be painting it tomorrow. I'm going with Pepper Grey Metallic as the main color and Black Metallic as the rally stripe color. I was wondering what's the best way to lay the rally stripes down and the best order to paint them.
Should I spray the black base first and then mask off the stripes to save on masking time and paper? Should I spray the whole car with the pepper grey metallic and then mask off the stripes and shoot black? Or should I paint the whole car in grey metallic, clear it, wait for it to dry, and then put the stripes on at a later time so I can take my time laying down the stripes perfectly?
Also, what's the best way to mask off rally stripes?

Sorry for the long-winded post...
I say to do the grey first, then the stipes, then clear over it all. Get all your stipe dimensions down first so you will be able to do it quick enough to stay in your re-coat window for everything.

Use the tape that is designed for stripes. It's 1/4" wide and has very clean edges. Then use masking paper on the 1/4" tape. If your stripes have any tight corners, you might want to use the 1/8" stripe mask tape as it is easier to make turns with it. Get the top of a jar exactly the size of the radius in the stripe corners to use as a template to help taping.
Lay everything out on the car before you even start painting so you have it all down in your mind on how you want it to look.
If you are going for factory stripe dimensions, you might find a complete template kit for it.