Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rally Stripes...
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2006, 05:56 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I was finally convinced to just lay down the grey and clear it and wait for it to dry so I could take my time on it.
I just did it yesterday and I put on two coats of Omni color with a mist coat and three coats of Omni clear. It looked great when I got done spraying, but I baked it and the next day it had died back really bad. So now I'm going to sand the whole thing down with 800 grit on a DA, mask off the rally stripes, go spray the black, remove the paper, and clear the whole car again. I don't think I'm going to bake it this time.
I'm not a big fan of Omni clear, but I'm on a budget.
I wish they made a stencil for my car, but '77 Supremes never came with rally stripes, so I'm just going to have to wing it and try to line them up with the grills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1
Use the tape that is designed for stripes. It's 1/4" wide and has very clean edges. Then use masking paper on the 1/4" tape. If your stripes have any tight corners, you might want to use the 1/8" stripe mask tape as it is easier to make turns with it. Get the top of a jar exactly the size of the radius in the stripe corners to use as a template to help taping.
Lay everything out on the car before you even start painting so you have it all down in your mind on how you want it to look.
If you are going for factory stripe dimensions, you might find a complete template kit for it.
Do you mean the 3M blue fine line tape?