Hot Rod Forum banner

Rally stripes?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  MARTINSR 
#1 ·
Planning a complete paint job with rally stripes next week in base clear, never done this before so I could use your tips! The car will be blue with two white stripes down the hood, roof, and decklid. I'm thinking to do the white first, its the lightest color and less masking off of my first color. right? I have blue fine line tape is there something better for straight lines that won't peel up my first color? Any shortcuts to laying out my stripes, I plan to measure out from the center, but is sounds like work to get them lined up straight. And then I plan to cut and polish, will I run into problems around my tape lines? Thanks in advance for any help- Steve

#3 ·
What kind of car is this? If you are planning stock "Rally stripes" on say, a late sixties Camaro or Chevelle, and I assume Mustangs and such, they all have stencil kits that make it a BREEZE to spray them.

I sprayed many of those stripes masking them off with a ruler and my eye. After the first time I used a stencil kit, I was hooked. Never will I go back to free hand.

Paint the car first and then using the stencil kit you are done in only an hour or so, it is that easy.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.