Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rambler American engine conversion #2
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 11:01 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Here ya go....

Farna is right..the engine compartment is tight..The main problem is the steering components. If you cut the inner fenders/humps you gain some width up top but you still have to fit around the stock steering box and the front steering. The distance from the front steering to the firewall is very short. I looked up the Buick 231 v6 out of curiosity and found it is approx. 25" in length(if what I found was correct)..Quad 4's are 19.250 tall, 18 inches wide from oil filter to water pump intake. 21 inches from belhousing flange to front pulley. Makes all the difference unless you want to start cutting which is what we are trying to avoid. I actually like the Quad 4 looks..makes the engine interesting to look at and has a vintage look. When done she should put out around 200 hp which is plenty for a Rambler that weighs around 2475 lbs with stock drivetrain.
Thank you Studebaker for the suggestion about the v6..your right it is a very compact v6 and I appreciate any suggestions..but the Quad 4 made about the most sense of any modern engine for size, availability, power and looks.

Last edited by ramzoom; 01-08-2009 at 03:09 AM.